DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,521 of 10,535
  Well i was thinking about those (i need 8 of them) and for an item that won't change much, is pretty expensive (for me). I never heard any difference from difference calbes so i will make my new first cable because i will enjoy it :p Also i want custom length,i want them look nicely (it's like a cable fetish :p ) and if i do make some cables at least i want to be decent quality, that's all.

Well since you're buying 8 of them that price seems reasonable and with only
£​
2.50 in shipping you're not paying much really.
If you want to make it even nicer, buy cotton or nylon sleeving. Or you can strip the jacket and shielding and sleeve each 4 conductor individually and braid them.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,522 of 10,535

Well since you're buying 8 of them that price seems reasonable and with only
£​
2.50 in shipping you're not paying much really.
If you want to make it even nicer, buy cotton or nylon sleeving. Or you can strip the jacket and shielding and sleeve each 4 conductor individually and braid them.

Yeah, that was the plan, but i can't find cotton sleeving (preferably black-white) Any suggestions with that? 

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,523 of 10,535
Sep 17, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #2,524 of 10,535

If you want to buy from France and pay for 14€ of shipping, Audiophonics.fr do carry the Mogami W2549.
Here's the link: http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/cables-modulation-cables-symetrique/mogami-neglex-w2549-cable-modulation-symetrique-60mm-p-4937.html

ViaBlue makes some very nice splitters.
http://viablue.de/com/splitter.shtml

Ouch, 18€ for the mere foot of the stuff that I need for my interconnects 
redface.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #2,525 of 10,535
I am really not sure what dia I am new to diy just wanted to see what was out there

Plussound
Doublehelixcables
Qables
Toxic cables
Viablue

You can use heatshrink or nothing at all. You can also use beads of various kinds or shells from 3.5mm connectors like Neutrik/Rean. 
There are a few people that do custom ones with wood/acrylic. 

It really depends on what you're after. More importantly, what you're willing to spend. 
wink_face.gif
  Hopefully these give you an idea of some of the options available. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #2,526 of 10,535
Quick question, where would I find clear sleeving?

I want to do a 3 strand braid and then sleeve it in something clear.

I know theres the teflon tubing, but those aren't really clear.

Theres also aquarium tubing but I dont know if anyone actually uses that.. they have pretty thick walls. lol

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,527 of 10,535

Theres also aquarium tubing but I dont know if anyone actually uses that.. they have pretty thick walls. lol

Heat shrink?  It can be pretty clear when shrunk, but not sure you'd want to do that.  Also, you'd probably want to find it still cylindrical and not flattened.  That's a very interesting question.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2,528 of 10,535

There is clear sleeving but I don't know how flexible it would be, or suffer any mechanical noise.
http://www.wirecare.com/product.asp?pn=WC00212550

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,530 of 10,535

Heat shrink?  It can be pretty clear when shrunk, but not sure you'd want to do that.  Also, you'd probably want to find it still cylindrical and not flattened.  That's a very interesting question.

Hmm, actually, I might try that. I dont mind if its not a perfect cylinder, it might be even better if its form fitted to the cable braid.
Do you know if clear heat shrink would yellow over time? Thats my other concern.

There is clear sleeving but I don't know how flexible it would be, or suffer any mechanical noise.
http://www.wirecare.com/product.asp?pn=WC00212550

That stuff makes cables pretty rigid. It's good for interconnects but that's about it, IMO.

Damn lol. Thats another issue I've had, keep finding stuff thats clear but would make the cable unwieldy.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2,532 of 10,535

Hmm, actually, I might try that. I dont mind if its not a perfect cylinder, it might be even better if its form fitted to the cable braid.
Do you know if clear heat shrink would yellow over time? Thats my other concern.

Another good question.  The only clear heat shrink I've used hasn't been on long enough for me to say.  Hope not!

Why do you have to cover the wires? Don't use any sleeve, cables look nice that way anyway.

Was kind of wondering about that, as just the braid looks very nice.  I really need to get off my butt and use that litz wire and paracord I've had for two weeks.  I'm itching to try and make a decent round braid.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #2,533 of 10,535
I'm thinking of making another custom cable for my Hifiman but this time using 8 22 AWG OCC conductors (4 per channel) in a paracord braid and terminated with a Furutech 1/4" Jack.
Is it overkill or should I just use thinner gauge wires?

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2,534 of 10,535
Quick question for experienced four-wire braiders.  I've got my 100/46 Litz wire threaded through the paracord, so braiding would seem to be the next step.  But I got to thinking about the beginning end and that it might be best to have it anchored before starting.  Is it a good idea to solder that end to the TRS plug first?  Seems like a good idea, but any input would be appreciated.

TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back