DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 20, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,981 of 10,535
  Mogami makes an ultra flex 32awg single wire coaxial construction shielded cable, it's .039" diameter and is about as small as you'll find. There is one center conductor and a shield, so 2 wires, use the center conductor as the signal, and the shield as common. Don't be fooled for that short run small 32awg is adequate. Stuff is pretty cheap, usually wire starts getting more expensive when you get this small.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Video-Cable/Mogami-Wire-Cable-Corp/W2444-00-F.xhtml

Does common mean the ground?
If so that cable might just be perfect! thanks for the info, I'm trying to do my first headphone mod ^_­^ Gonna try adding both a detachable cord and mic to my HD 280 pro Sennheisers :)

Ill buy this wire and if it doesn't work, I will probably just add dual sided connectors.

May 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,983 of 10,535
  HTC One M7 or M8? I have nothing to complain about my M8's camera quality.

The M7 cam quality is effing terrible. The sensors take a crap really quickly. I have one, and both my girlfriends parents do, only one of those 3 cameras isnt a POS. I had to buy a camera just so I could get some decent pictures, I couldn't with my phone. It was just getting worse and worse.

May 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,984 of 10,535
  2.1mm OD is HUGE for 22awg wire. $1.65 is steep for 22awg wire.

$1.65 a ft for OCC 22AWG Copper is not steep. I also think that this is Type 2 Litz so if you plan on using this you will need a solder pot.  

May 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,985 of 10,535
Does anybody have any extras of those really skinny "Sennheiser labled plugs" that they would be willing to sell and drop in a small envelope for mailing?

I only need one and really dont want to wait 4.5 weeks to get it from lunashops.
PM me if you do, Thanks!
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,986 of 10,535
I hate soldering those. Got to be the worse plugs in the world. Wish I could find an alternative for them with a better soldering point configuration.

May 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,987 of 10,535
I hate soldering those. Got to be the worse plugs in the world. Wish I could find an alternative for them with a better soldering point configuration.

Ya me too. Its very hard to solder. I find viablue is the worst plug to solder.

I made this cable yesterday and took me like 30 mins to solder, soldering area was so small I had to borrow my grand ma reading glass.

May 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,988 of 10,535

Those are really similar to the pailiccs when it comes to soldering. The ones that are the biggest pain for me are the pailiccs TRRS connectors. 

May 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,989 of 10,535

I made this cable yesterday and took me like 30 mins to solder, soldering area was so small I had to borrow my grand ma reading glass.

Ahhhhhh and then you put heat shrink over the Viablue shell.....

Why man Why?

Heatshrink IMHO should not be seen... :)

May 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,990 of 10,535
Common is ground for headphones.

It's a mini coax which is going to be the smallest cable with 2 conductors available for a given wire gauge.

Great, thank you

Another question. Will this be suitable for powering the second ear?

And will a single ground in the main cord be enough for 2 headphones and a microphone ground?

May 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,991 of 10,535
I would use the Mogami Ultraflex for the in headband wire and use something like W2929 for the main length with connectors on both ends. That will give you 4 conductors and a shield, enough to run L/R/Com/Mic and have a shield grounded at the source.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Bulk-Wire-Cable/Bulk-Audio-Cable/Mogami-Wire-Cable-Corp/MG-2929-FT.xhtml

May 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,992 of 10,535
Anyone on here sell Kobiconn IRIS male female plugs ? I'm going to put a panel mount on my mini-amp and route it from taps connection.
Sick of XLR pendulums...so heavy....they are built like a tank but terrible when I want  to use a DAP or off of my notebook.

May 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,993 of 10,535

Why man Why?

Heatshrink IMHO should not be seen... :)

I think lot of aftermarket put heatshrink over viablue plugs. I put it there just to cover the bottom screw.

I wanted to put the black one but ran out of... so red one it is.

May 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #1,995 of 10,535

hahaha...yes. viablue is hard to solder, but for tiny cable and 4 strand only, i think it's still easy to put it in... i only neds 10 minutes to put it in, the longest part is to braid the cable....:))
  Those are really similar to the pailiccs when it comes to soldering. The ones that are the biggest pain for me are the pailiccs TRRS connectors. 

pailics has larger soldering area than viablue or mps eagle, the easiest jack to solder for me is rean and amphenol. soldering acrolink L shape is killing me.

Why man Why?

Heatshrink IMHO should not be seen...
smily_headphones1.gif

hahahahahha...:)).. it should be transparent heat shrink to be used, i think it will be more charming....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back