DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 19, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,951 of 10,535
For me its Zippo all the way!

The real hardass would use wooden matches and light them with a thumb nail.
biggrin.gif

My first ever time working with heatshrink/DIY cable, i actually used a match, did not work out very well. I think i still have that cable somewhere :)

May 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,952 of 10,535
i've used rean for a couple of time, but i disappoint to it's quality, the build quality is the most problem to me.
i've also try pailics, ranko, mps, amphenol... and they are cheap also, specially pailics, it's nearly same price to rean. in my country,pailics and amphenol easier to get. 

why pailics and amphenol are batter than rean in my sight, because i thing, they have better build quality, better looks ,and better sounds ... 
pailics has good high freq detil, good bass controlling, and better separation.

amphenol is better in high freq control, good mid freq, and less bass for the one who don't like much bass quantity.
Plugs have a different sound... :rolleyes:

That kind of foolishness needs to be discussed in the Sound Science "Fiction" Forum and not in this thread.

May 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #1,953 of 10,535
My first ever time working with heatshrink/DIY cable, i actually used a match, did not work out very well. I think i still have that cable somewhere :)
Yes indeed, I've used matches in a pinch but you have to be real careful and expect burnt fingers. :)

May 19, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,954 of 10,535

hahahha.. same as me... but now, i used cheapo hair dryer...
Plugs have a different sound...
rolleyes.gif

That kind of foolishness needs to be discussed in the Sound Science "Fiction" Forum and not in this thread.

hahahaha,, ,, may be i'm too fool about that, at least that's what i heard...

if the sound is not arguable , then the build quality, the price, and the looks will be the main reason... for me, it's a waste using expensive cable if it's using bad build audio jack. :D

May 19, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #1,955 of 10,535

My first ever time working with heatshrink/DIY cable, i actually used a match, did not work out very well. I think i still have that cable somewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes indeed, I've used matches in a pinch but you have to be real careful and expect burnt fingers.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've always used a butane torch lighter i got as a wedding gift. The more jetlike flame can easily be waved in front back and forth for easy control :)

May 19, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #1,957 of 10,535
Downside with the torch is the 2200F flame vs the 300F shrinking temp of the heat shrink.
Perhaps, but i don't get the flame near the heatshrink. I start a good distance and slowly get closer as i wave it back and forth. I get very consistent and controlled results every time. The biggest downside is the the flame is small and narrow, so more back and forth is needed, a wider source of heat would make things faster. But my lighter was free :wink:

May 19, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,958 of 10,535
The butane torch I picked up years ago actually has a slider that you can push forward and cover the air intake making it a reducing flame. I still really like the safety of flicking on the heat gun with round shroud and rotating the part in there. Some of the bigger stuff ½" and up takes a lot of heat.

May 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,959 of 10,535
Sooo..

<_<;

Anyone can advise what kind of wire this is?

It has 2 wires one copper one red in the same plastic thing, and is really thin.

None of the wires I have work as replacement and I need it to fix my headphones :frowning2:

May 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,961 of 10,535
I have a pair of Westone 4's and the cable has started to tear near the ear bud (Literally the section coming out of the ear piece). 

Should I attempt a DIY on such a close proximity to the ear piece or pay for it to be done?

May 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #1,962 of 10,535
re: heatshrink, I use a candle (in a holder... duh), as it allows for both hands on the cable, which makes it easy to turn the portion with the heatshrink and generally allows for more control.

May 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,963 of 10,535
What is the purity grade for

Mogami quad microphone 4x24
Cardas 4x24

I cannot find the spec on these wires, I assume they are all pure 4N copper?

Typo : Candas to Cardas

May 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,964 of 10,535
What is the purity grade for

Mogami quad microphone 4x24
Candas 4x24

I cannot find the spec on these wires, I assume they are all pure 4N copper?

Mogami should be OFC 4N and Cardas should be OCC copper 6N or 7N.    Please feel free for anyone to correct me.  

May 19, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,965 of 10,535
  Mogami should be OFC 4N and Cardas should be OCC copper 6N or 7N.    Please feel free for anyone to correct me.  

So Cardas cable is better, but I cant hear any differences between 4N vs 7N.
I think Mogami should be fine for me.

Cardas is way way more expensive than Mogami $18 vs $1 per ft, not sure if it worth it, anyone ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back