DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #1,546 of 10,535
Not really a question but, soldered a mini xlr 4 pin for the first time tonight. I don't want to do that eveeer again. But I have to. lol Installed a jack into a pair of 770s pro, going to make the cable tomorrow. x(

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #1,547 of 10,535
Not really a question but, soldered a mini xlr 4 pin for the first time tonight. I don't want to do that eveeer again. But I have to. lol Installed a jack into a pair of 770s pro, going to make the cable tomorrow. x(

haha...yeah, those mini connectors suck. i made a cable for the Alpha Dogs last week and the mini connectors on those are terrible to work with, too...it'll be worth it, though. good luck and be sure to post pics in the picture thread.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,548 of 10,535

I have to install my 2 3-pin xlr chassis into my DT770 Premium. Im not excited to drill a hole in the right ear cup.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,549 of 10,535
I'm looking to do a removable cable on my t5p,  Apparently a mini XLR socket is ever so slightly too large to mount in the cups.  Are there any reasonable alternatives?

I was hoping I could make HD600/650 connectors work, since the hole in the t5p cups is already a rectangle.  However, I can't seem to find female connectors for these anywhere.  Are female 600/650 connectors something that exists?

I seem to recall the alpha dogs having a small profile connector.  Are those something freely available?

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,550 of 10,535
  I'm looking to do a removable cable on my t5p,  Apparently a mini XLR socket is ever so slightly too large to mount in the cups.  Are there any reasonable alternatives?

I was hoping I could make HD600/650 connectors work, since the hole in the t5p cups is already a rectangle.  However, I can't seem to find female connectors for these anywhere.  Are female 600/650 connectors something that exists?

I seem to recall the alpha dogs having a small profile connector.  Are those something freely available?

http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts.html?cat=17&p=1

Try emailing them for the sennies female connectors, they might be able to help you out, otherwise there's plenty of other choices in the link above.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,552 of 10,535

haha...yeah, those mini connectors suck. i made a cable for the Alpha Dogs last week and the mini connectors on those are terrible to work with, too...it'll be worth it, though. good luck and be sure to post pics in the picture thread.
You obviously haven't worked with Lemo connectors, the mini-xlrs are a godsend in comparison.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,553 of 10,535

Are the T5p cups the same size as the DTxx0 cups? I have some mini xlr sockets that are going to fit on my DT770s just fine. Maybe you just need to look at a different brand.

Also, the Sennheiser female part is part of the driver assembly, so emailing them about it isn't going to help you at all.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,554 of 10,535
  http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts.html?cat=17&p=1

Try emailing them for the sennies female connectors, they might be able to help you out, otherwise there's plenty of other choices in the link above.

The only thing I see that has any chance of being smaller than the mini XLR are the hifi man connectors here:

http://www.moon-audio.com/hifiman-diy-headphone-connectors.html#

It's not clear to me if that kit includes the male and female ends though.  Does anyone know how they compare in size to mini XLR?

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,555 of 10,535
  Are the T5p cups the same size as the DTxx0 cups? I have some mini xlr sockets that are going to fit on my DT770s just fine. Maybe you just need to look at a different brand.

Also, the Sennheiser female part is part of the driver assembly, so emailing them about it isn't going to help you at all.

The cups are the same size, but the plate with the driver is much larger.  You can get a mini XLR jack in between the back wall of the cup and the driver plate, but the fit is so tight that you can't put the locking nut on the inside.  Someone showed me a pic of their build, and they literally had to glue the connector in place which I would rather avoid.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,556 of 10,535
I hate 3.5mm plugs, I find mini 4 pins to be 10x easier. Odd one out I guess
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,557 of 10,535

The cups are the same size, but the plate with the driver is much larger.  You can get a mini XLR jack in between the back wall of the cup and the driver plate, but the fit is so tight that you can't put the locking nut on the inside.  Someone showed me a pic of their build, and they literally had to glue the connector in place which I would rather avoid.

Hot glue is removable. That wouldn't be a bad option.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,558 of 10,535

Hd800's were scary lol didn't think I would be able to do it lol.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #1,560 of 10,535
Not cheap, but the Sennheiser HD800 connectors are smaller and available for purchase from a couple places.

These, right?

http://www.aloaudio.com/hd800-female-socket-panel-mount-connector-sold-in-pairs 

They look to be about the same diameter as the mini XLR's.  Do you have reason to believe they are actually smaller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back