1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions' started by wje, Aug 10, 2013.
Tags:
First

Back
569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578
580 581
Next

Last
  1. Allanmarcus
    Sure. Using Sommer Cable SC-Peacock MKII Same cable that beyerdynamic used for the original T1. The stock Focal Utopia cable is the same concept, but uses some unnamed third party cable (they won't say the name)

2. itsikhefez
    Thanks fellow Mainliner :wink:

To clarify, you removed the sheath and braid and only used the twisted pairs? Then added a sheath below the Y?

Any comments on this approach? Pros/Cons?

3. Allanmarcus
    Nope. The peacock cable essentially is already split into two pairs, kind of like zip cord. Look at the link and the picture.

The main reason to braid all four (or more) wires is convenience, and possibly EMI rejection, but mostly convenience, when sleeving.

4. itsikhefez
    Yes, I have seen the picture. Although they are split, the individual cables have a copper shield around them, which I am assuming you cut off on both ends.

^^ To clarify this question, I was referring to taking unsheathed, unshielded twisted pairs, that are simply "joined" together from the Y to the source connector with a sheath. No shielding, no braiding, etc. The reason I am asking about this is because all the unshielded constructions I've seen are braided.

5. hanihanhan
    Slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend good solder suckers?

6. itsikhefez
    Can highly recommend this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597, well worth the price

7. MrPretty
  8. hanihanhan
    That's reassuring. I'll have to pick it up soon!

9. kingkikapu
    I have a hakko sucker. Pretty good bang for the buck, but I’m more of a braid guy usually.

10. Allanmarcus
    :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    They all suck, especially the good ones

hanihanhan likes this.
  11. hanihanhan
    They'd better suck!

12. hanihanhan
    I got my 95 paracord and 28 awg wire, but I'm having the most difficult time to sleeve them. Could anyone give me some tips on how to get the wire through?

13. Paladin79
    needle.jpg One way is to use a solid piece of copper wire, say 12 or 14 awg, round one end with a file so it does not snag, solder your 28 awg wire to the other blunt end and make sure the solder does not stick up much. You can then use that wire as a needle. I would suggest said wire be 2 inches long roughly. If you do not have solid wire that size, look for solid copper small gauge wire and bend it in half so one end is rounded, once again solder to the opposite end. You can also use a darning needle, I soldered to the back side of this one, or you can loop the wire through, and solder it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    Themilkman46290 likes this.
  14. Themilkman46290
    Wish i would've thought of this when i made mine, o well, guess i will have to remember this tip, great 1

Paladin79 likes this.
  15. Paladin79
    Not a problem, my people have tried a lot of different methods but this one works pretty well, once through the mesh you can simply unsolder the wire.

Themilkman46290 likes this.
First

Back
569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578
580 581
Next

Last