DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions' started by wje, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Paladin79
    You need two conductors and ground if you are going three pole. If you buy star quad it has four conductors and shield (or ground). Plenty of conductors for three conductor connectors. You can double up the wires for the right and left channel and use the shield as ground, thus five wires for three connections.

2. chillaxing
    anyone know where I can get the sony ex1000 connectors besides lunashops? i recently bought 3 pairs from there and non of them will screw onto the ex without cross threading.

3. Sharkhunter
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  4. Paladin79
    1/8 inch might fit but to be absolutely safe I would go with 3/16. You have to bear in mind shrink ratio as well, 3 to 1 shrink ratio at 1/4 diameter could work.

5. Sharkhunter
    Would a 3/16 2:1 shrink ratio will work?

6. Paladin79
    If you had a micrometer and could tell me the overall diameters of the two wires it would help, but if not 3/16 2-1 would be my best guess.

Use a ruler to take a rough estimate might even tell you.

7. Pilotdog68
    Speaking of heat shrink...

Maybe this is old news but I think I found a great deal at Harbor Freight. Its a 42-piece combo pack of adhesive-lined 3:1 ratio for under $6. I have not seen adhesive-lined or 3:1 anywhere else locally, much less both together. There is one catch: they have some kind of markings printed on the side. I'll have to try to clean those off somehow.

https://m.harborfreight.com/42-piec...g-67598.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

8. haoyuan
    I'm thinking 4mm 2:1. You can buy a small box of all different sizes and test them before you commit. Bunch of them on amazon.

9. Paladin79
    4 mm is right at 1/8th, 5 mm is 3/16, you could tell a lot by just holding the wire over a ruler and measuring it. Naturally I keep an assortment around and that is always a good way to go.

10. Allanmarcus
    Seems a bit pricey compared to what you can get an amazon
    https://smile.amazon.com/Ginsco-152Pcs-Shrink-Tubing-Adhesive/dp/B01N07O1GO

11. Pilotdog68
    If you have prime, that is the better deal. Without prime, its $14 shipped.

This is my first experience with adhesive wrap, and I'm really impressed. I used less than an inch of it to hold some paracord to some spare wire. I tugged as hard as I could to separate the two, but couldn't do it. Very nice.

12. Paladin79
    The adhesive works well and is great for some applications and dual wall is fairly thick after heating. Single wall standard for the two wire configuration originally asked about is the way to go. ( I only mention that so the proper type of tubing is bought for that usage.) I go with 3M usually but I have tried some of the no name heatshrink and it can work as well.

13. kwatch
    I have several headphone cables and their length is between 7' and 10'. I think it is a bit long for me. I'm thinking of trim them to 5' and make 5' extension cable . Will extension cable degrade the SQ?

14. Paladin79
    It should not degrade the signal as long as the cable quality of the extension is as good or better than the original. A cable can be no better than the weakest link.

15. Sharkhunter
    The thickness of both the wires come to 2mm in width.