DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,961 of 10,535
  Well went with the naked braid. I was surprised how much better they sounded then my Monster interconnects from my Denon pre's to my Adcom GFA-555 to my Polk LSi 15's. I needed to wait till I solder them to put the heat shrink on to get it even. Not too bad for first pair.

Nice!....the cables looks good,where did you order?....link pls.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #3,962 of 10,535
Hi guys!
I have a DAC on the go (Nuprime udsd) and it's gonna be connected with my active speakers (JBL LSR305).
I'm planning to make the cables by myself.
The outputs on the dac are RCA's and the inputs on the speakers are XLR (3 pin) or TS.
Do you know which input on the speakers is gonna be the best to use?
About the cable, I was thinking to use a Canare L-4E5C, as I already have some, if XLR is the way to go or buy a instrument cable if TS is the right option. Any suggestion about it?
Thanks guys for the help!

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #3,963 of 10,535
You could use the same wire for either.

I'm guessing (just a guess, though) that either 2 of the XLR pins will be bridged (for signal) or you will only use 2 pins.

Either way, you could use 2 of the cores for ground and 2 for signal for each speaker. TS connectors are pretty much anywhere you can find TRS connectors.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,964 of 10,535
Thanks for the reply!

They are possibilities. Do you think XLR is a better option than the TS for the quality of the signal? How about if I use the TS connector instead and solder all the 4 conductors for the signal and the shield on the sleeves, it won't be necessary to make any bridges...
I forgot to say but the inputs on the speakers are balanced and the outputs on the nuprime udsd DAC, I have no idea 
confused_face.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,965 of 10,535

Nice!....the cables looks good,where did you order?....link pls.

The connectors are NEUTRIK REAN NYS373. From Parts-express.com $1.59 a pop.The wire is from Ebay seller vintage_audio_lab it's called VALAB 24 AWG it is teflon coated silver plated ofc wire 7 strand of .23mm wire . It was $18 plus $7 shipping for 20 meters shipped from Taiwan. It took a couple of weeks to get it but I think worth the wait. It also sails thru #275 paracord whereas Mogami 28 awg was a chore. I think I have to order more connectors and wire because I left those interconnects connected to my amp and have to make another set to hook up my newly arrived Teac UD-301 DAC.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,966 of 10,535
  The connectors are NEUTRIK REAN NYS373. From Parts-express.com $1.59 a pop.The wire is from Ebay seller vintage_audio_lab it's called VALAB 24 AWG it is teflon coated silver plated ofc wire 7 strand of .23mm wire . It was $18 plus $7 shipping for 20 meters shipped from Taiwan. It took a couple of weeks to get it but I think worth the wait. It also sails thru #275 paracord whereas Mogami 28 awg was a chore. I think I have to order more connectors and wire because I left those interconnects connected to my amp and have to make another set to hook up my newly arrived Teac UD-301 DAC.

Noted, TY for the reply.....I wanted to do a IC and a 2.5mm-3.5mm HP cable too and if needed IEM cable as well....The one I purchased lately is so thin.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3,968 of 10,535
  Recabled my ue900 first time doing IEM's man those soldier pins are tiny ^_^

mogami cable with eidoloc bits im pleased

I'm about to do a cable with that Eidolic connector... do you think the shrink wrap under the connector is necessary?

EDIT - Oh and sexy cable!

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #3,969 of 10,535
I wouldn't say its necessary, I did it because I like that aesthetic and it helps to hold the para cord in place. its an easy connector to work with has 3 nice soldier pads and the tabs that you crimp down on the cable to secure it. good luck!

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,971 of 10,535
Just made a new set of cables today. I made a set of single ended 3.5 mm cables for my Alpha Dogs. This time I went for the 4 wire round Litz braid. I really like this braid . The wire inside is the silver coated wire I used in my interconnects. It slipped right thru #275 paracord . 7 feet of paracord only needed the last 6 or 7 inches inchwormed thru one of the four went all the way. I had to get out the Dremel to ream out the end of the connector to get all 4 paracords inside the connector. I went with shrink tubing on the split because it was fast and doesn't look too bad imho. I marked left and right for the end and still wired it wrong ; ). I'm glad I tested before shrinking the connector. I think I'm getting a little addicted to making cables but I have more to build. I want to thank all for your suggestions and comments.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #3,973 of 10,535
  When I order stuff online I sometimes write in the 'customer notes' section "write a joke on the box". Redco is the only company to bite so far. Haha

So If I were to receive your order, I wld write as "don't open - surprise inside"? with a neat empty box that will have just foam peanuts stuffed, inside.
atsmile.gif

And,.... after that surprise, you will receive a box the next day, that has what you had ordered actually........
wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,974 of 10,535
  So If I were to receive your order, I wld write as "don't open - surprise inside"? with a neat empty box that will have just foam peanuts stuffed, inside.
atsmile.gif

And,.... after that surprise, you will receive a box the next day, that has what you had ordered actually........
wink_face.gif

That would be hilarious, but also frightening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back