DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #9,558 of 16,305
Quote:

Sweet, were you able to take the housings apart or did you just cut the stock cable a few mm from each housing entrance?

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #9,560 of 16,305
Quote:

Sweet, were you able to take the housings apart or did you just cut the stock cable a few mm from each housing entrance?

The Monster turbines are very easy to take apart actually. I've done a few and you don't need to worry about anything shattering because its just metal! You shouldn't have a problem taking those guys apart.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #9,561 of 16,305
Quote:

thanks. i heat the shel with blower and pry the opening softly and gently using a flat head screwdriver. most, if not, all IEMs have their respective openings (the part that splits the shell into two) glued with the exception of shure IEMs. they are PITA to open up.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9,562 of 16,305
Thanks!

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #9,565 of 16,305
I think Mouser is the sole distributor for Kobiconn; if they don't have it, it's probably not available at the wholesale level.

When working on the cabling FAQ I happened across the sites for one or two Chinese manufacturers who will sell the plug in commercial quantities on ocntract. Search for "auto-IRIS connector" and similar terms. You'll have to wade through a lot of results for cheap security cameras first but something ought to turn up.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #9,567 of 16,305
Quote:
I think Mouser is the sole distributor for Kobiconn; if they don't have it, it's probably not available at the wholesale level.
When working on the cabling FAQ I happened across the sites for one or two Chinese manufacturers who will sell the plug in commercial quantities on ocntract. Search for "auto-IRIS connector" and similar terms. You'll have to wade through a lot of results for cheap security cameras first but something ought to turn up.

Thanks, found a place in HK who had some in stock.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #9,568 of 16,305
This thread is full of awesome looking cables. :)

I'm going to be attempting my first cable pretty soon as well as modding my HFI-780s for dual-entry and removing the diode board. Hopefully, it goes well. This will be my first time soldering.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #9,569 of 16,305
Good luck! I completed my first RCA-RCA and RCA-mini cables a few weeks ago. The work is clean, but nothing special (Mogami Quad, nylon, Switchcraft plugs). If I can get some good light at my office, I'll snap a few pics.

Best part: I got to talk about and use cable pants.  :)

Embiggened by those builds, I've ordered the materials to recable my trusty Denon D5000 -- got Double Helix 24awg wire, Viablue mini plug and Viablue Y-splitter. Found instructions here and here. Ready to go!

While I wait, I'm debating whether to sheath the cables with nylon multifilament. I'm use my Denons at the office, so microphonics and protection aren't strong needs. But I'm not sure if the large Viablue components will look weird (or not fit properly) without some bulk from the nylon. I have 5-10' of the necessary diameters, so I guess I'll explore when I get everything. I'm also going to go back through 30-50 pages of this thread for inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back