DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #6,586 of 16,305
I first measure 4 equal length wire, solder then onto the 3.5mm plug. then I thread the wires through the sleeve. heat shrink was used to fix the sleeve to the wire before puting the cover of the plug onto it. another layer of heat shrink to the external of the plug. on the other end, the four wire was twisted into two pair each has one signal and one ground. then I use heat shrink to fix the twist at the beginning of the twist  so it become a Y-end cover with another layer  heatshring. I also use a short pieces of heatshrink to hold the twist at the end of both left anf right wires twist the goes into the headphone. this complete the wire part.as for D2000, taking it apart is easy. The earpad was twisted on, no glue no screw, so a correct twist will remove the earpad to expose the screw that hold the driver unit to the headband. unscrew the 8 screw you will see after taking away the earpad. now you have tyhe driver exposed. unsolder the wire, untied the knot that Denon uses as strain relieve then the wire can be slide off easily from driver unit housing and headband. now do the reverse of removal of original wires using the cable just made, put it back together you will get a recabled D2000, very easy.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #6,587 of 16,305
Has anyone here made a cable using the tiniq XLR adapter?

I have some pics here - 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549945/interconnects-tiniq-hirose

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #6,590 of 16,305
beyersmile.png
hahaha everyone's a comedian.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6,591 of 16,305
I have both the Oyaide straight and right angled 3.5 mm plugs and Although I love their tiny size and looks, they are a pain to work with an offer no strain relief whatsoever. Other plugs have either screws or clamps that keep the cable in place so it wont twist and disconnect the solder joints, So unless you are really careful and find a way to keep the cable in place, my advice would be to stay clear from them. I destroyed my straight Oyaide plug because the ground pin is very flimsy and the twisting of the wire removed the ground pin from the plug's body. I would definitely go with the Switchcraft because they are incredibly easy to work with, offer great cable connection and the solder flows onto the pins like butter on a hot knife. I can never tell the difference in SQ between any connectors, so that doesn't bother me much. It's really the aesthetics of the plug and how easy it is to work with that makes me decide between the two.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6,592 of 16,305

Quote:
hsiu is that the dhc cable? I'm thinking of that for my next cable for my grados.

anyone here can give me their opinions between 3.5mm switch craft and oyaide plugs? I'd like to know if they are truly night and day.

[size=medium]
I have both the Oyaide straight and right angled 3.5 mm plugs and Although I love their tiny size and looks, they are a pain to work with an offer no strain relief whatsoever. Other plugs have either screws or clamps that keep the cable in place so it wont twist and disconnect the solder joints, So unless you are really careful and find a way to keep the cable in place, my advice would be to stay clear from them. I destroyed my straight Oyaide plug because the ground pin is very flimsy and the twisting of the wire removed the ground pin from the plug's body. I would definitely go with the Switchcraft because they are incredibly easy to work with, offer great cable connection and the solder flows onto the pins like butter on a hot knife. I can never tell the difference in SQ between any connectors, so that doesn't bother me much. It's really the aesthetics of the plug and how easy it is to work with that makes me decide between the two.
[/size]

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #6,593 of 16,305
cheers! thats helpful feed back.

I'll be seeing which right angled plug would fit my custom aluminum iphone case and go from there. I'm opting to go with straight barreled switch craft over viablue T6 because the viablue is made of plastic and bronze with an aluminum exterior, whereas the switch craft at half the cost is made entirely of metal.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #6,594 of 16,305
may questions from a hopefully soon to be DIYer
my questions are mostly related to mini jacks when applicable.

why do people heatshrink over the entire jack.. i have seen this on many cables including the ALO twag cables.  is this just for looks or does it serve a purpose?

i am really interested in using ultra flexible wires when i make cables.. the wires by cooner look really enticing.. does anyone have experience or know how much it costs? or know other wires that are known for being flexible?  ultimately im looking for minimal cost over anything else. 

why do people use heatshrink towards the end of the jack sticking out a bit as the cable comes out?  is this for addes strain releif or just for looks?

are silver plated copper wires stiff?

i would assume plain ol stranded copper is the most flexible?

do ya'll ever heatshrink over the entire inside of the jack where all the wires are soldered.. woudl there be a reason to do that? like to hold everything in place better?

piotrus-g - care to share where you got your wire and tubing? did you have to tube it yourself?  i reeeeeeally like how that wire looks. 

is there a type of wire sheathing known for being more flexible than others.. i believe the most common types are teflon, and  i forget ???

thanks a lot.. really admiring everyone's work

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #6,595 of 16,305

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a similar experience and also ended up going with the Switchcraft.

I suppose it can work ok with the right wires, but it simply wasn't workable for my situation.

If anyone wants the one I have (it's the gold version and has never been used - I realized it wasn't going to work before that) be the first to shoot me an EMail (steve@q-audio.com) and it's yours.

EDIT: THE OYAIDE PLUG HAS BEEN CLAIMED

se

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #6,597 of 16,305
I've looked all over the internet and maybe I'm not searching for the right terms, but I'm trying to find a source for right angle DIY IEC plugs. (The female end in case I don't know exactly what an IEC connector is).

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #6,598 of 16,305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i am really interested in using ultra flexible wires when i make cables.. the wires by cooner look really enticing.. does anyone have experience or know how much it costs? or know other wires that are known for being flexible?  ultimately im looking for minimal cost over anything else. 

The supply of the Cooner wire I was offering has dried up. It was custom made so in order to get more of the same wire, you'd have to have a batch made by Cooner which would be quite expensive.

You may want to get in touch with Cooner however and see if they have something similar that they'd be able to provide a small quantity of.

Quote:
are silver plated copper wires stiff?

i would assume plain ol stranded copper is the most flexible?

The silver plating is pretty much irrelevant. It's the stranding and the insulation that determines flexibility.

Quote:
is there a type of wire sheathing known for being more flexible than others.. i believe the most common types are teflon, and  i forget ???

Do you mean sheathing as in something to be put over wire that's already insulated, or are you talking about the wire insulation itself?

For sheathing, the most flexible would be the textiles such as cotton, silk, or multifilament nylon.

For insulation, silicone is the most flexible. Teflon is rather hard. PVC is generally softer and more flexible.

se

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #6,600 of 16,305
it is the TWcu 24 AWG from Cryo-Parts. it is rather flexible but slightly hard to wirk with because the insulation tube shrink a lot when heat apply to the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back