DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #4,951 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend the correct sleeving to fit over Canare Star Quad?

I can have it covered with cotton if you'd like.

se

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #4,953 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be pretty snazzy, but likely outside my budget.

How 'bout the cost of postage?

This is something I've been meaning to have my braiders try for me but just haven't got 'round to it. This would give me a good excuse to finally do it.

se

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #4,954 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice- order some high quality components for your next build, and you'll be really satisfied, I think. Though being in Lebanon, sourcing parts could be a pain
frown.gif

EDIT: My favorite cable build I've done was when I went all-out and purchased all the doodads and addons. Well, except for the cable, no way in hell I'm paying $5/ft for any sort of cable.

RpXF3l.jpg

Wow, what a nice cable. Where did you purchase the splitter?

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #4,958 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, what a nice cable. Where did you purchase the splitter?

Thanks. AV-Outlet carries a bunch of ViaBlue parts, and that's where I got the splitter. They aren't very economical, but they sure are purty.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #4,959 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, great job on the e2c's! Did you just heated the body up to get them apart or what?

x2. great job. I have a pair of e2c's that are not being used, and a recable seems like a great project to try. please do share your technique!

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #4,960 of 16,305
Well guys, my solution was pretty simple. I used the knife of my swiss card to open both plastic cases by gently cutting through the area where both plastic halves met. After that, i just used some CAT5e wires and soldered them on with the help of a tester. I then glued the plastic cases back together and gently filed the outer surface for a smoother texture because some of the rough edges were uncomfortable when the earphones were installed into my ears. That's basically it, and thanks for your comments because that's what keeps me going in the DIY area.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #4,961 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
img8122c.jpg

Sorry for quoting the pic but that is brilliant! Props! What kind of braid is it? Hard to see.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #4,962 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for quoting the pic but that is brilliant! Props! What kind of braid is it? Hard to see.

If it is like one of his past headphone cables, I think he sleeved his strands with multifilament and then braided those together in the standard litz. Kind of like this experiement I did with multifilament and cotton:

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4152-ebony-ivory-braid.jpg

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #4,964 of 16,305
Hello everyone

I've subscribed to this thread for a long time now and checked back every time.
I've got some ordinary generic parts (I wish I had some nicer cables and plugs though
tongue.gif
) and have need for a 'mini (male) to RCA (male) jacks' cable.
something like this (This pic comes from the 'DIY mini to RCA thread'):
IMG_2351.jpg

I was wondering, how goes the braiding? Is it the same as from this site?
Chimera Labs Do it yourself - braiding Audio Cable

And what cables are what exactly? If you look at the step by step pictures of that site, are the outer cables the ground cables for both plugs? Do they only come together at the jack itself or can you join them sooner?

Thanks everyone
And a happy New Year for those that are a few hours earlier
biggrin.gif

Dries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back