DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #15,736 of 16,305
Thanks dude.

Just remember they seem to measure it flat so four mm is nearly big enough for cable about a quarter inch diameter. Their 12 mm is plenty big enough for 1/2 inch or bigger AC cord.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #15,737 of 16,305
7036FC00-7F34-4EF1-BF52-3DFEE534428C.jpeg
I’d love to say I’m a master cable builder, but in reality I just hacked the stock cables, covered in paracord, and soldered on a new end.
The interconnects I actually made myself though.

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #15,740 of 16,305
I'd like to try my hand at cable making. I have my Phillips Fidelio X2's that are easy since the cable plugs into the left cup via a 3.5mm plug. I'd like to recable them with something shorter and just nicer. I have a really cheap cable that I had in my desk drawer that was shorter than stock. Can't say I noticed a difference in audio quality but I'd still like to recable with something a little nicer.

I also just ordered a pair of the Massdrop HifiMan HE4xx headphones. Again...easy to recable now that they moved from the wonky connector at the cups to a 2.5 or 3.5 plug. Not sure which these will come with. But either way...should be easy.

Question is...what wire and plugs would you recommend? Not trying for anything fancy or high-end. Just something that's solid quality and if it looks cool...bonus. Also...some sources for materials?

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #15,742 of 16,305
Jan 2, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #15,744 of 16,305
Will do. Thanks!

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #15,745 of 16,305
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #15,746 of 16,305
Anything with a clear jacket that's recommended that's not terribly expensive? I'd like to have that exposed wire (no cloth covering) look but it's not necessary. I just like the way it looks. So far the cables I've found like that are kinda pricey...like in the range of $60-100 for enough cable to do one headphone. I'm looking to do a 5 foot cable. Maybe 6 foot. 100% of my listening is done at my desk so I don't need longer and I think 5 foot is short enough for portable if for some crazy reason I decide to take my headphones with me which I've never done to date. If I want portable I just take my Etymotics and Cmoy. The perfect cable would be transparent black. Only one I've found so far is single strand and $1.65 a foot so that would put me in at like $40 which isn't bad. But I believe what I found is Litz so doesn't that require a solder pot to work with? If so...there's another $25 but at least that's a tool I can keep and use over and over as needed.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #15,747 of 16,305
Nevermind...the black transparent I found is NOT Litz. I don't even know what that is...lol...I'm new to the whole upgrade cable game. I need to look it up to see if it's something even worth messing with. I don't know if I'm one to buy into the cable snake oil...I don't doubt that quality cable has some benefit over cheap cable and I'm sure cable material probably changes sound to some extent. But I just don't know about all the crazy treatments and coverings and production methods having huge or any benefit or improvements over a standard quality cable. But I've only ever used stock cables so what I know about this stuff could fit on the tip of a 2.5mm plug...lol

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #15,748 of 16,305
Litz is just each individual strand is covered in enamel and generally has a cotton core, you need to use the solder pot to remove the enamel from the tips of the wire so that
solder will stick to it, probably best for your first cable to use non litz wire for ease.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #15,750 of 16,305
Anything with a clear jacket that's recommended that's not terribly expensive? I'd like to have that exposed wire (no cloth covering) look but it's not necessary. I just like the way it looks. So far the cables I've found like that are kinda pricey...like in the range of $60-100 for enough cable to do one headphone. I'm looking to do a 5 foot cable. Maybe 6 foot. 100% of my listening is done at my desk so I don't need longer and I think 5 foot is short enough for portable if for some crazy reason I decide to take my headphones with me which I've never done to date. If I want portable I just take my Etymotics and Cmoy. The perfect cable would be transparent black. Only one I've found so far is single strand and $1.65 a foot so that would put me in at like $40 which isn't bad. But I believe what I found is Litz so doesn't that require a solder pot to work with? If so...there's another $25 but at least that's a tool I can keep and use over and over as needed.

Nevermind...the black transparent I found is NOT Litz. I don't even know what that is...lol...I'm new to the whole upgrade cable game. I need to look it up to see if it's something even worth messing with. I don't know if I'm one to buy into the cable snake oil...I don't doubt that quality cable has some benefit over cheap cable and I'm sure cable material probably changes sound to some extent. But I just don't know about all the crazy treatments and coverings and production methods having huge or any benefit or improvements over a standard quality cable. But I've only ever used stock cables so what I know about this stuff could fit on the tip of a 2.5mm plug...lol

Check those threads:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...se-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/page-253

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/

Building your own litz cable is not so easy and pretty extreme diy when you do your own sleeving too (know it cuz I`ve done it):
9940537_l.jpg

9940499_l.jpg

9940497_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back