DIY Cable Gallery!!
Oct 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #15,706 of 16,302
Got annoyed using the XLR to 1/4 adapter on my BasX A100 for my HE6se. So I decided to make a XLR to banana plug cable. This was my first time making a whole cable end to end, including the braiding. I used 16 awg OFC speaker wire, so it was quite the pain in the butt to braid and cumbersome to deal with in general as one could imagine, but I wanted a thicker look.

10368813.jpg

Attachments

• 20191017_072227.jpg
    20191017_072227.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #15,707 of 16,302
Got annoyed using the XLR to 1/4 adapter on my BasX A100 for my HE6se. So I decided to make a XLR to banana plug cable. This was my first time making a whole cable end to end, including the braiding. I used 16 awg OFC speaker wire, so it was quite the pain in the butt to braid and cumbersome to deal with in general as one could imagine, but I wanted a thicker look.

10368813.jpg
In which case can I use speaker amp for headphones connection ?
if you know, the negative (-) on the speaker amp is the same one for all of the connectors (except if you using mono-blocks for each channel)

so only planars can used the speaker amp power ?

*in addition tried to twist the cable like this without successes

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #15,708 of 16,302
In which case can I use speaker amp for headphones connection ?
if you know, the negative (-) on the speaker amp is the same one for all of the connectors (except if you using mono-blocks for each channel)

so only planars can used the speaker amp power ?

*in addition tried to twist the cable like this without successes

Depends on the power of the amp, but on my BasX A100, I've used my HE6se, Auteur, and Elear on the headphone out with bypass, which gives the same amount of power as the speaker connections. This amp does 50W into 8ohms. I don't know that I'd try with a more powerful amp except for maybe my HE6 since they can probably handle more power.

With my Auteur and especially my Elear, I can't turn the volume pot without it getting too loud so a more powerful amp could be dangerous.

As far as your first question, I'm not sure what you mean by the negative terminal on the speaker amp. For 4 pin XLR it's easy since it's L +/- and R +/- to the corresponding speaker terminals on the amp.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #15,709 of 16,302
Depends on the power of the amp, but on my BasX A100, I've used my HE6se, Auteur, and Elear on the headphone out with bypass, which gives the same amount of power as the speaker connections. This amp does 50W into 8ohms. I don't know that I'd try with a more powerful amp except for maybe my HE6 since they can probably handle more power.

With my Auteur and especially my Elear, I can't turn the volume pot without it getting too loud so a more powerful amp could be dangerous.

As far as your first question, I'm not sure what you mean by the negative terminal on the speaker amp. For 4 pin XLR it's easy since it's L +/- and R +/- to the corresponding speaker terminals on the amp.

I think that Legopart was pointing out that Speaker amps use a common negative terminal for both Left and Right channel so there is no reason to be wiring the cable as balanced. In other words, the negative connection eventually meet unless you are using mono-block amps where each channel would have a separate amplifier circuit.

Only a few headphones would be able to take the power of a speaker amp, it depends on their sensitivity rating.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #15,710 of 16,302
I think that Legopart was pointing out that Speaker amps use a common negative terminal for both Left and Right channel so there is no reason to be wiring the cable as balanced. In other words, the negative connection eventually meet unless you are using mono-block amps where each channel would have a separate amplifier circuit.

Only a few headphones would be able to take the power of a speaker amp, it depends on their sensitivity rating.
Ah ok, understood. The reason I did 4 pin XLR is that my cables are all XLR. Easier to just do it that way, unless there's another way to go from 4 Pin XLR into banana plugs?

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #15,711 of 16,302
Ah ok, understood. The reason I did 4 pin XLR is that my cables are all XLR. Easier to just do it that way, unless there's another way to go from 4 Pin XLR into banana plugs?

I'm sure you've done it the better way :)

The alternative would only be to connect the 2 and 4 pins together in the XLR plug so that you can run one negative cable to the amp where you can split it again between the channel negative connections. This is just going on the assumption that it is a shared negative later down the line. I feel, as you have done, sticking with balanced connections is the right thing as you have more options for using that cable if something changes later, and i feel its a little safer too.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #15,712 of 16,302
I'm sure you've done it the better way :)

The alternative would only be to connect the 2 and 4 pins together in the XLR plug so that you can run one negative cable to the amp where you can split it again between the channel negative connections. This is just going on the assumption that it is a shared negative later down the line. I feel, as you have done, sticking with balanced connections is the right thing as you have more options for using that cable if something changes later, and i feel its a little safer too.

Thanks for the explanation! I certainly appreciate it.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #15,716 of 16,302
My workout cable. It reaches far enough to attach the Radsone ES100 to my collar, and that's about it. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears are stuck in the hot glue inside that TRRS plug; building my first CIEM cable was a humbling experience. But the sonic and ergonomic advantages of a rig like this make it all worthwhile.

Radsone Cable - 1.jpeg

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #15,717 of 16,302
7B319F04-CFC5-4ED5-8D88-632BB56CF9B0.jpeg
29ED8736-6266-4D1C-BAFE-A3DB035D132C.jpeg
C837FD1C-19E7-48CA-89FA-7F53A413F21C.jpeg
16618D43-8666-4875-A7C9-9FE691F72A43.jpeg
Home brew xlr cables. Crisscrossed 30g magwire around cotton with some c37 painted on. All in a techflex sheath. Only pins 2 and 3 were connected. Basically an adaptation of Allen Wrights recipe.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #15,719 of 16,302
Why do you use so thin wires to make this cable?
Its looks like AWG30 thickness, or less
Yep its 30g. I use them because they are thin and solid core. Allen Wright in his Cable Cookbook explains why thin solid core is best (next to thin ribbons). Soundwise they are super clean, fast and spread out the stage and imaging. They excel at PRAT. FWIW I used a 28g construction as speaker wires between my Halo A21s to my Magnepans. Thick wires blow. And this is line level so its thin gauge anyhow. I just got a pack of 38g. That will be fun to work with!

Anyhow here is a paper on the science behind the thin solidcore:

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/1095cable

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #15,720 of 16,302
My workout cable. It reaches far enough to attach the Radsone ES100 to my collar, and that's about it. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears are stuck in the hot glue inside that TRRS plug; building my first CIEM cable was a humbling experience. But the sonic and ergonomic advantages of a rig like this make it all worthwhile.

Looks great, which cable did you use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back