DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #13,636 of 16,305
wow.. alot of OOT here :p

just my another testing cable

1468810_10201911106038870_5524980146461670341_n.jpg

May 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #13,638 of 16,305
Guahh look what kind of conversation I sparked with my Rean and Neutrik jack comment :xf_eek:

Beautiful cables btw guys, liking the effort put into them!

May 19, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #13,639 of 16,305
i woodied a pair of grado sr225 drivers that i acquired. lignum vitae wood cups. originally, i had recabled it with a thicker, tech-flex covered cord, which always looked awkward to me. it also had a 4-pin balanced plug, which is unnecessary for these headphones.

so i re-recabled it with a thinner mogami quad cable with the casing removed. covered in steel gray paracord, viablue splitter, and switchcraft 3.5mm plug. i really like it now...

May 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #13,641 of 16,305
i woodied a pair of grado sr225 drivers that i acquired. lignum vitae wood cups. originally, i had recabled it with a thicker, tech-flex covered cord, which always looked awkward to me. it also had a 4-pin balanced plug, which is unnecessary for these headphones.

so i re-recabled it with a thinner mogami quad cable with the casing removed. covered in steel gray paracord, viablue splitter, and switchcraft 3.5mm plug. i really like it now...

Very nice. Professionally done lookalike.

Can you tell me which paracord did you use. Sizewise? I am assuming 2 diff ones.? One for the 4 strands and other one for the 2 strands?

May 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #13,642 of 16,305

Can you tell me which paracord did you use. Sizewise? I am assuming 2 diff ones.? One for the 4 strands and other one for the 2 strands?

Looks like the same one. The 4 strands aren't braided, he left them twisted the way it comes after you strip the Mogami of it's PVC insulation and shielding. It fits much better that way.
Then you can simply run your fingers along with 2-strand braids, that have been twisted together here, once the paracord is on to get a nice tight fit.
I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my guess based on the patterns that you can easily see through the paracord and experience. 
  Very nice. I really like Mogami cable without the insulation, it's very flexible. I never buy Canare because of this unless someone I'm doing a recable for requests it.

Don't understand the Canare example. I buy both and have meticulously compared them. Once stripped to the wires, they are almost identical. The Mogami is ever so slightly 'softer' and flexible, but it's so small of a difference that it's hardly noticeable and totally negligible once sleeved. Just my opinion of course. 

May 19, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #13,644 of 16,305
  Canare is annoying because of the shielding. Having to undo it takes forever.

Good trick i read was to fold the wire over, make a small hole in the braiding, then pull the wires through one by one.  That way you don't have to untangle the braiding for the section you want to remove making it quick and easy.

May 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #13,645 of 16,305
  Canare is annoying because of the shielding. Having to undo it takes forever.

Good trick i read was to fold the wire over, make a small hole in the braiding, then pull the wires through one by one.  That way you don't have to untangle the braiding for the section you want to remove making it quick and easy.

This belongs in the other thread. But I'll respond quickly. Going to post a video showing this eventually, but you guys are doing it wrong. 
Push in the shielding on one side so that the braid expands in a bulb-like fashion. Once it's loose at that end you can simply pull it down, (in the same direction that you pushed to loosen it),  and it slides right off the other side. Takes less than 20 seconds. Length really doesn't matter that much in the process. 

May 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #13,646 of 16,305

thank you. answer is below.

Quote:

Looks like the same one. The 4 strands aren't braided, he left them twisted the way it comes after you strip the Mogami of it's PVC insulation and shielding. It fits much better that way.
Then you can simply run your fingers along with 2-strand braids, that have been twisted together here, once the paracord is on to get a nice tight fit.
I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my guess based on the patterns that you can easily see through the paracord and experience. 
Don't understand the Canare example. I buy both and have meticulously compared them. Once stripped to the wires, they are almost identical. The Mogami is ever so slightly 'softer' and flexible, but it's so small of a difference that it's hardly noticeable and totally negligible once sleeved. Just my opinion of course. 

yes, you are correct. same paracord for both the four strands and the twisted double. it takes a bit of patience to slide it over the four strands, mostly to make sure that the wires don't pierce the paracord at the tip, but it's not too bad. then just make it tight everywhere to get the pattern to show through. the individual wires in the mogami i used (2534) are about 24AWG, which is a bit thicker than i'd like ideally. i like 26 or 28AWG to do 4 wire litz braids. i tried litz braiding these wires and it comes out a bit too thick.

i have used canare in the past as well. and while the shielding is more difficult to remove, it does slide off eventually. i had to "learn" this as well. the first time i removed the shielding it took forever, but now i can slide it off pretty quickly.

May 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #13,647 of 16,305

This was my weekend project, and my first braided headphone cable. The wire and splitter are from Plussound Audio.

May 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #13,649 of 16,305
  yes, you are correct. same paracord for both the four strands and the twisted double. it takes a bit of patience to slide it over the four strands, mostly to make sure that the wires don't pierce the paracord at the tip, but it's not too bad. then just make it tight everywhere to get the pattern to show through. the individual wires in the mogami i used (2534) are about 24AWG, which is a bit thicker than i'd like ideally. i like 26 or 28AWG to do 4 wire litz braids. i tried litz braiding these wires and it comes out a bit too thick.

i have used canare in the past as well. and while the shielding is more difficult to remove, it does slide off eventually. i had to "learn" this as well. the first time i removed the shielding it took forever, but now i can slide it off pretty quickly.

So paracord is one size fit all ? is it Paracord 550 ?

May 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #13,650 of 16,305

So paracord is one size fit all ? is it Paracord 550 ?

yes, it is paracord 550. there's a little bit of flexibility in the paracord so that it can stretch around a 4-wire bundle, but it depends on how thick it is. paracord doesn't stretch that much, so it's not for everything. there are smaller sizes for single wires, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back