DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13,037 of 16,305
  Hi all, I searched this thread but could only come up with US suppliers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of cables and connectors in the UK that would be suitable for making DIY IEM cables?
I'm not planning on going into business, this will just be for myself and possibly a couple of mates, so I am not interested in suppliers that will only deal in wholesale volumes 
biggrin.gif

Thank you for your time and any responses.

Send a PM or email to Toxic Cables.  Or you can order from a place like Lunashops which ships worldwide.  Also, since this is a gallery thread for posting pictures, please see this thread for more help on supplies and building:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #13,040 of 16,305

First LOD I have made in quite a while. Still in the 'house' style and with an incorporated micro USB charge socket. No more painting on this, I moved over to black milliput.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #13,041 of 16,305

That what happened to my he 500 stock cable after a while ... (neverending fixing story!) it has prompted me to do my own diy cable on the simplest possible way, not complex strands just a simply twist, to be honest the cable was factory twisted what i did it was equally twisting each pair all together as per picture which allowed me to adjust length of the split by turning the Y splitter barrel.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #13,042 of 16,305

Cleanest work I've seen on a DIY epoxy connector!
Props!

Quote:

How'd you do that? That's freaking cool!
So you're saying you can adjust the height of the y-split by twisting it in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction???
Somehow I can't wrap my head around the concept. Can you explain how you did it a little more?

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #13,043 of 16,305
So you're saying you can adjust the height of the y-split by twisting it in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction???
Somehow I can't wrap my head around the concept. Can you explain how you did it a little more?

I would think that by twisting 2 wires together and then twisting the 2 lots of twisted wires together. When you again untwist them, you would end up with the original 2 lots of twisted wires and vice versa.

Very nicely done.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #13,044 of 16,305

Yep! in both directions.
It is possible because the cable is twisted mechanically very precise, the twist are steady as u see on picture. I twisted them together in "mirror" way is like rope but each pair of the cables have "memory" twisted  them opposite (stresses in opposite directions) hold them steady without deformation, with the Y barrel works like a screw with nut.The hook-up wire used to make this headphone cable comes from DH LABS, is the T-20X Silver Sonic 20 awg type, stranded silver-plated copper the dielectric is pure PTFE in a very precise, pressurized extrusion process.I am bad in explaining things in English, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back