DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #12,993 of 16,305
Love the Switchcraft plug. For some reason It seems like very few people here like them. To me they're the best plugs I've seen so far.

They look nice, and there solid, but for me there not that nice to work with. I prefer solder tabs rather than the central rod thing the straight plugs have. And there pretty bulky.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #12,995 of 16,305
Dec 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #12,997 of 16,305
Does anyone here have a custom made earphone cable they can show me how they made?  Perhaps yours romee?  I'm recabling my sony mh1, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.  I still don't understand how people twist their cables without them coming untwisted.  I must be missing something...

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #12,998 of 16,305
Does anyone here have a custom made earphone cable they can show me how they made?  Perhaps yours romee?  I'm recabling my sony mh1, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.  I still don't understand how people twist their cables without them coming untwisted.  I must be missing something...

Use the solder helping hands, heatshrink or your gf's hands to keep it from untwisting.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #12,999 of 16,305

Use the solder helping hands, heatshrink or your gf's hands to keep it from untwisting.

I mean once it's soldered and heat shrunk it will just untwist...  what do you do to keep that from happening?  Is there a special twist technique?

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #13,001 of 16,305

I mean once it's soldered and heat shrunk it will just untwist...  what do you do to keep that from happening?  Is there a special twist technique?

Dont twist, braid.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/13636-how-braid-cables-configurations.html

How do you braid two conductors? :p  For instance, the westone 4r cable...  How does that not untwist?

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #13,002 of 16,305
Solder one end of each piece to whatever connector you are using. Hold the connector up and let the two wires hang down. Use your free hand to wrap them around each other.
Don't use force to twist them, as they have a memory, and they will try to regain their original 'set', and you will end up with a mess. If you do it correctly, that memory will keep them
evenly twisted together. In other words, use that memory to your advantage, not against you.

It takes a little practice, but once you've tried it, it will make sense.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #13,003 of 16,305
  Solder one end of each piece to whatever connector you are using. Hold the connector up and let the two wires hang down. Use your free hand to wrap them around each other.
Don't use force to twist them, as they have a memory, and they will try to regain their original 'set', and you will end up with a mess. If you do it correctly, that memory will keep them
evenly twisted together. In other words, use that memory to your advantage, not against you.

It takes a little practice, but once you've tried it, it will make sense.

Maybe that's my problem.  The cable I'm using doesn't really seem to have any memory.  It just flubs around.  If I twist it gently or tightly it just flops untwisted... So the only way to keep it twisted is by the wire's memory?  There's no other technique to somehow keep them twisted permanently?  Because even twists from memory of the cable would come untwisted it you spun them with your hand, right?  I don't want that.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #13,004 of 16,305
Once you finish wrapping them, you have to connect the free ends to whatever they are connecting to. They won't just stay together on their own.

Before you solder the ends though, just hold them together and move the cable around. If gaps appear between the two wires, then you probably
need to redo them a little tighter. Just give it a try. I think you will see what I mean.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #13,005 of 16,305
  Once you finish wrapping them, you have to connect the free ends to whatever they are connecting to. They won't just stay together on their own.

Before you solder the ends though, just hold them together and move the cable around. If gaps appear between the two wires, then you probably
need to redo them a little tighter. Just give it a try. I think you will see what I mean.

I just don't get it.  My brain is having an epic fail.  I can connect the cables at one end, twist them any way I can think of, connect them at the other end, and they just come untwisted...  I read somewhere that you need to twist each cable counterclockwise around the other, but I don't see how there's any way to twist them other than "around each other".  :p  Can someone draw pictures or something? haha.  Or are some cables not twistable?

UPDATE:  o.k.  My mind was just BLOWN!!!  I connected the wire with electrical tape (as a test), twisted them snug but not tightly as you said, sealed the other end with tape... AND THEY DON'T UNTWIST!!!  I don't get it.  How is that any different than taping both ends and then spinning the whole thing as if you're wringing out a towel?  Unreal. hahaha

UPDATE #2:  I think I figured it out.  When I taped one end and used my hands I was actually wrapping one cable around the other.  So one of the cables was essentially remaining straight.  Not literally, but I wasn't effectively wrapping that cable in any way, it was the stationary point I wrapped the other one around.  I was thinking in my head it was logically the same thing as wrapping the other one the other way, because when I was done they looked the same.

However, when I did it the last time and taped the first end, I held it between my knees and actually did a "left, right, left, right" wrapping of each cable equally.  So I'm thinking maybe that made a difference?  I'm not sure.  But it worked!

Thanks a million!  Pardon my stupidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back