DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #14,822 of 16,305
Here's a picture of a DIY cable with a difference.

I recabled some RHA 750s after breaking the original cable,but rather than run a full length cable I made a super short version. This allows me to connect a small DAC or bluetooth receiver mic controller at the junction point. The picture shows my Fiio K1 connected, the micro USB cable plugs straight into my iPhone's lightning socket. The K1 has a detachable clip so I can just clip it to my shirt. The other dongle is the bluetooth mic/receiver.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #14,823 of 16,305

I recabled some RHA 750s after breaking the original cable,but rather than run a full length cable I made a super short version. This allows me to connect a small DAC or bluetooth receiver mic controller at the junction point. The picture shows my Fiio K1 connected, the micro USB cable plugs straight into my iPhone's lightning socket. The K1 has a detachable clip so I can just clip it to my shirt. The other dongle is the bluetooth mic/receiver.

That's super super awesome! But wouldn't you find that your microusb to lightning is too long for portable use?

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #14,824 of 16,305

Silver-plated 7n OCC Litz from Plus Sound.
Oyaide 3.5mm from Norne
ATH-IM connectors from China

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #14,827 of 16,305
Gorgeous. Looks like you used a flat braid, am I right?

What wire is that? Seems like a thick gauge.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #14,828 of 16,305

Awesome! I didnt go as far as to recable my RHA MA750is but rather sleeved the lower portion with 3m reflective 550 paracord and replaced the plug with an Amazon TRRS alternative. To retain the RHA plug sleeve (for pure aesthetics) I simply heated it up using a pencil torch and removed the remaining material from the original plug. The sleeve was slightly smaller than the new plug so before soldering I placed tape over the plug, chucked it in the drill, and used a person file to achieve the required diameter. Everything works and looks great now!

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #14,829 of 16,305

Awesome! I didnt go as far as to recable my RHA MA750is but rather sleeved the lower portion with 3m reflective 550 paracord and replaced the plug with an Amazon TRRS alternative. To retain the RHA plug sleeve (for pure aesthetics) I simply heated it up using a pencil torch and removed the remaining material from the original plug. The sleeve was slightly smaller than the new plug so before soldering I placed tape over the plug, chucked it in the drill, and used a person file to achieve the required diameter. Everything works and looks great now!

I need to revisit mine as I'm not really happy with the joins. I did them a while back when I first started out, I've got a lot better now skills-wise. The recabling was a necessity as I'd caught the cable and broke the mic. They were sitting in a drawer for months until I picked up the courage to attack them with a soldering iron. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #14,833 of 16,305
Does BTG have OCC? They didn't when I was buying. They do have great OFC.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #14,835 of 16,305
Indeed. They do sell some nice wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back