DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #9,470 of 16,042

drez

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Posts
2,921
Likes
182
Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-stranded-26-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-White-Blue-/230497699793?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35aabbc7d1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-HEAT-SHRINK-TUBING-3-1-black-10-feet-/360341318343?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e6042ac7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-BRAIDED-NYLON-SLEEVING-audio-TECHFLEX-25-ft-/360217197985?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item53de9e3da1
http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/Switchcraft-Corporation/TA3FLX.xhtml?TA3FLX
http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NP3X.xhtml?NP3X
 
Have fun!

 
I found these links useful also - the techflex retailer is awesome.  Thanks for posting.
 
Jun 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #9,472 of 16,042

tomscy2000

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Posts
5,905
Likes
2,223
Location
On Hiatus
Quote:

 
A bit too toxic, don't ya think?
wink.gif

 
Jun 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #9,473 of 16,042

heart banger-97

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2011
Posts
328
Likes
18
hi guys! I'm really new to diy world
I want to build a line out cable for my ipod touch (I already have an alo audio cryo dock)
what do I need?
I want to buy best material. what is the best cable?
where can I find what I need?
I want to build some thing like this

thanks
 
Jun 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #9,474 of 16,042

DE Nefta

Member of the Trade: DELC Enterprise
Joined
May 30, 2012
Posts
81
Likes
11
You need to work precise, because you have a little space, especially when you want to make such a little thing like on your picture.
You need:
Dock connector --> qables
3,5 mm jack --> qables or google it. Neutrik, Viablue, Pailiccs of Hicon. Just what you prefer.
Shrink tube --> when the cable bends a lot, it will increase the durability.
Resistor --> for older ipods.
Silverplated copper wire is what I prefer. But there are divided opinions on.
Solder and a solderstation.
 
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #9,476 of 16,042

heart banger-97

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 29, 2011
Posts
328
Likes
18
Quote:
You need to work precise, because you have a little space, especially when you want to make such a little thing like on your picture.
You need:
Dock connector --> qables
3,5 mm jack --> qables or google it. Neutrik, Viablue, Pailiccs of Hicon. Just what you prefer.
Shrink tube --> when the cable bends a lot, it will increase the durability.
Resistor --> for older ipods.
Silverplated copper wire is what I prefer. But there are divided opinions on.
Solder and a solderstation.
 
This is my result:
 

 
Quote:
Or you can check ebay, they sell dock connectors with the right pin-outs that you need.


thanks can you give me a link from your wire?
is this good for wire? (i want some thing with more cold sound)
i found this for 3,5 mm jack
my ipod touch is 3th generation does it need resistor?
I can not find a Dock connector that I want; I want a dock connector with the Cable exit from the side, not behind the dock. can you give me a link that has such a connector?
 
Jun 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #9,477 of 16,042

ardgedee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Posts
3,774
Likes
505
If you want a batch of iDevice dock connectors cheap to experiment with, I got a lot of 20 of them for $21.
 
More than I plan to use, but enough to experiment with, and cheap enough that I can afford to ruin a couple. Not that I want to or intend to, but that seems to be my working method.
 
I received a padded packet with a zip baggie with 40 latch buttons, a baggie with 20 upper halves of the shell, one with 20 lower halves, and so on... it looked daunting when I opened the package, but it makes sense.
 
I can't vouch for the quality of the product yet because I haven't had time to build anything up, but I found the seller prompt and reliable. I have no connection with this business beyond being a one-time customer.
 
A couple notes from my experience buying through AliExpress:
The faster shipping options more than double the total cost; I used free shipping and they traveled from mainland China to the eastern US in a little under 2 weeks. The cheaper added-cost shipping options would have at best only shaved a couple days off the time.
AliExpress puts your payment in escrow at time of purchase; After the package arrives with what you expected, you have to log back in, confirm shipment, and then AliExpress will release the escrow and the seller gets the money. That's easy to forget when you're used to Ebay-style purchases.
 
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #9,478 of 16,042

ardgedee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Posts
3,774
Likes
505
Quote:
my ipod touch is 3th generation does it need resistor?
I can not find a Dock connector that I want; I want a dock connector with the Cable exit from the side, not behind the dock. can you give me a link that has such a connector?

 
It doesn't need a resistor, but if you use the resistor-style wiring, you'll be able to continue using the dock with any iOS device you might have in the future.
 
Lunashops has a dock connector with a side exit. I have no information about this aside from the product page. I haven't dealt with Lunashops myself, so I can't comment on them yet.
 
Jun 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #9,479 of 16,042

garcsa

Member of the Trade: Mandarines IEM Memory Foam Eartips
Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Posts
904
Likes
175
Thanks for the links! 
smile.gif

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-feet-stranded-26-AWG-Silver-Teflon-Wire-White-Blue-/230497699793?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item35aabbc7d1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-HEAT-SHRINK-TUBING-3-1-black-10-feet-/360341318343?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e6042ac7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-BRAIDED-NYLON-SLEEVING-audio-TECHFLEX-25-ft-/360217197985?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item53de9e3da1
http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/XLR-Connectors/Switchcraft-Corporation/TA3FLX.xhtml?TA3FLX
http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/1-4in-Phone-Connectors/Neutrik-USA-Inc/NP3X.xhtml?NP3X
 
You might be able to shave a couple dollars by shopping around more, but this has the benefit of consolidated shipping and using merchants who are highly rated among Head-Fi users.  There's something to be said for dealing with well-vetted parties.
 
A few notes:
I've used John's wire and you should be aware that it is rather stiff, and can be fairly microphonic.  That said, it's not all that bad unless you intend to be in an environment where you'll be moving around a lot.  Since you specified 2,5m I assume this isn't the case.
You can do without the multifilament if you want, but you'll end up with an exposed braid which, with John's wire, tends to look rather ugly.  You'll want a less stiff wire for an exposed braid to look particularly good.
 
Have fun!

 
Jun 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #9,480 of 16,042

cogsand gears

O-Ring Supremus
Joined
Mar 12, 2011
Posts
857
Likes
42
Very slight update to my Toxic silver TF10 cable... Probably not worth posting, but when you obsess over the detail ( thats where the devil is after all ) of something it seems like a big change - to me at least.
 
I was never really happy with the original gold coloured connectors on I put on:

 
So, I took them off, put them in my Dremel and sanded the plating off till they were (mostly) bare aluminium, then modded the original lunashops TF10 pins till they worked:

 
So now I have lovely flush fitting connectors that are in keeping with the general colour theme. Maybe I need to get out more....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top