DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 29, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #15,392 of 16,305
IMG_2154.JPG I love the shape of those amphenols, the 3.5 mm extended tip I like to use are the same shape.IMG_2431.JPGThe rubber grommet can be removed to accommodate larger cables.

Tomorrow I will be at home installing all of my headphone gear into a cabinet, all cables other than power cords are custom, I may try to post a photo or two since it involves DIY cables. Most likely I will use miniature star quad to RCA and XLR connectors.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #15,393 of 16,305
Toxic cables silver poison V2 26awg for signal, scorpion 26awg for ground. Cheap 2.5mm jack and 2-pin connectors.

I still need to make up some short RCA's soon to go between my JDS Labs OL DAC > JDS Labs Subjective 3 EQ > O2 headphone amp

DSC_0199.jpg

Mar 31, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #15,394 of 16,305
IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2517.JPG This is a cable build for a dual amp balanced setup. Two quarter inch Neutric males coming out of dual Nuforce Optima amps. I attached a four pin miniature Neutric XLR so that I can quickly change between headphones without constantly plugging connectors in and out of the headphone cups. Using this setup I can attach quarter inch or 3.5 mm to the headphone cable at any time for use with other amps. The cable has a cotton/nylon mesh and I used clear heat shrink tubing over the wire twists so they maintain their twists. I formed a split to the twisted sections with adhesive lined heatshrink tubing and used the same on the other end so the mesh is always held in place. The Mogami star quad I used has a black wire and a red wire and it is an easy way to tell left channel from right at all times. (black and clear over wire, then red and blue wires.)

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #15,395 of 16,305
Toxic cables silver poison V2 26awg for signal, scorpion 26awg for ground. Cheap 2.5mm jack and 2-pin connectors.

I still need to make up some short RCA's soon to go between my JDS Labs OL DAC > JDS Labs Subjective 3 EQ > O2 headphone amp

Here are some of the RCA connectors I like, Neutrik Profi. IMG_2526.JPG They have a spring loaded ground that stays in contact as you unplug the cable. I gave more detail in the DIY Questions and Comments cable thread.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #15,396 of 16,305
My first nice DIY cables I’ve ever made. Had a good bit of practice on “form over function” cables, but wanted to step it up. I made a 3.5mm interconnect, Balanced Oppo PM3, and MrSpeakers Aeon Cables using Cardas 4 conductor, Cardas quad eutectic solder, Paracord sleeve, and Neutrik connectors (mostly except the proprietary mrspeakers ones). Overall I’m very pleased with how they turned out for my first attempt. Hopefully I can keep making cables and improving my technique. I’m thinking a braided cable next.
BD48ABE1-7B73-41B3-9EC1-D57008E713FB.jpeg

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #15,397 of 16,305
Nice work, it looks like you used some adhesive lined double wall heat shrink tubing in places. That should really hold the mesh, the red and black should maintain the twists so good solid cables.

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #15,399 of 16,305
Apr 5, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #15,401 of 16,305
IMG_2563 (1).JPG IC.jpg This IC cable is made to be functional rather than pretty but the tinned copper mesh does have an interesting look and flexibility. It is part of a set of cables being made up for me with different types of wire inside. OFC, copper litz, silver plated occ litz, high conductivity copper, occ copper, etc. I only know this cable as number 1, it will be hooked into a test setup I am designing to test various materials for use as headphone cables. All cables will be the same length, same wire gauge (hopefully), same twisted pair pattern; as close to each other as I can have them made. I will only know the materials inside once the test is completed (probably a dozen or so test subjects.) The same music and or test tones will be used, same amp, same headphones. The same Switchcraft RCA connectors are used throughout. Four cables gives 64 possible cable input combinations. Luckily my timing was pretty good, after a few minor modifications to devices later tonight I should be up and running by this coming weekend.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #15,402 of 16,305
IMG_2571.JPG After much work on switch boxes etc, I can now test cable materials by listening as well as by science.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #15,403 of 16,305
Hey where do you guys pick up your more interesting sleeving? I've used viablue, mdpcx, techflex, and good old paracord. Any sources for silk or something luxurious?

Paladin I picked up some Amboyna wood burl pen blank, plus a few other exotic woods. I think I might spin a cylindrical y splitter on a lathe for my high end cable. Either that or do a triangular splitter similar to the Norne approach, but with my own touches.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #15,404 of 16,305
I think there is so much more satisfaction when you do things like that yourself, and pen blanks sound like the perfect size.

I have been working with VU meters with a local gentleman from this site and he got in on some of my early cable testing and saw my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back