DIY Audez'e LCD-2 Headphone Stand
Mar 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

BrianMendoza

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, just thought I would share this with you...

I was looking around for quite sometime for an inexpensive headphone stand, but wasn't having any luck so I knew I had to go DIY. I first tried the hose hook that a lot of members had success with, but it was too short for the LCD-2's. I also was held back at the idea of a stand in the first place, because the LCD-2's are heavy, and if it's on a stand for a while, I could imagine the headband pad getting compressed to paper thin.

So I came up with an idea. It requires a cabinet pull ($6), one 10" cut of wood, one 7" cut of wood ($3 for both pieces of wood, and you can have the guys at Home Depot cut it), 3-5 nails($2-3), spray paint ($1-3), and some super/gorilla glue ($1-5).

Here are some pics:

The big plus with the stand, is that the only point of contact is on the cabinet pull (which I'm going to cover with some sort of fabric for protection) and the metal brim of the headband. So it makes no contact with the headband pad, to save its shape, and it also makes no contact with the leather ear pads, also saving their shapel. There is also no contact with the cable at all.

I think it looks pretty slick too, more like a display stand.

So in the end, it makes it a nice/safe/cheap way to keep from having to always put your LCD-2's away or laying them down on a surface.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 32
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes it!

I was worried about crossing the lines of a traditional headphone stand, but with the LCD-2's weight you don't really want to have that headband pad compressed for too long.

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 32
Nice concept but.....you need to insulate that bar from the cups or they WILL wear on the wood over time.  Plus the area that contacts the edge of the headband.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 32
That design Sir, is full of Win. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
That design Sir, is full of Win. 
atsmile.gif

Thanks man! I thought of it really late last night and couldn't wait to wake up in the morning and give it a shot.

It literally took no more than 30 minutes to make. And since I had the spray paint, nails and glue already, I only spent a little over ten bucks.

^How funny, the passion and creativity is when money is tight...

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:
I have an idea for my HD600s now

Nice man! If you're going to be doing some painting I definitely suggest flat over gloss.

I used to prefer gloss, but after making my Meier stand, and this LCD-2 stand, the flat black/flat colors really makes your components/headphones look like jewels.

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 32
Haha caught the cat! You sure your cat is gonna leave your beautiful LCD-2 alone...? 
biggrin.gif

Other than that. Simplicity can be brilliance indeed. Well done!

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 32
Excellent stand, and very well done! I'm also impressed with the cat.

You might want this moved, however, to the DIY forum?

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:
Haha caught the cat! You sure your cat is gonna leave your beautiful LCD-2 alone...? 
biggrin.gif

Other than that. Simplicity can be brilliance indeed. Well done!

Thanks! And yes, that's not usually where I store my headphone gear, I just took it out to the living room for a better lit picture. Haha, otherwise, that guy's a very well behaved cat regardless

Quote:
Excellent stand, and very well done! I'm also impressed with the cat.

You might want this moved, however, to the DIY forum?

Yeah, you're probably right. I always seem to aim for the full-sized headphones when I post threads, even by mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back