DIY Amping.
Oct 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

QRanc

Head-Fier
I currently own a Little Dot I+, but I would like to upgrade eventually. Although to keep the cost reasonable, I'm without any doubt, going to go the DIY route. I've got two in mind but other suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm thinking either the Level 2 SOHA, or the Bijou. Now I will be driving AKG 701's. Will both amps be able to dirve them? Or will neither of them. I definitely want it to be significantly better than the LD.

Discuss...

P.S. I'm somewhat obsessed with tubes, so I'm really hoping that whatever is suggested has them. Although I am open to other suggestions(sort of).

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Have you built any amps before ? Starting off with a tube amp is cool..but you need a well thought out and documented kit like the bottlehead sex amp that has loads of support from other builders.
I have no idea if that amp will drive the K701's properly but I imagine it will do it a fair bit better than the LD hybrid. Worth checking out at least....besides it's the only DIY tube amp for cans I can think of off hand
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Is there a difference between the SOHA II and the Level 2 SOHA?

I've also considered the SEX amp from Bottle head. And as for the other two, I would be ordering the kit from Glass Jar audio. I'm no expert in DIY so a kit is the only option.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 7
And to clarify, it won't be my first foray into DIY, I've got a couple projects lined up before I try anything too serious.

And I put this in the Amp thread instead of the DIY, because I'm more interested in the capabilities and characteristics of the amps than I am the process etc. When I have questions about actually building one, it will be in the DIY forum.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by QRanc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a difference between the SOHA II and the Level 2 SOHA?

Yes, the "level 2" is referring to the kit, but is the first SOHA design.

The SOHA II is.. the SOHA II, and evolution of the first design.

Quoting from the SOHA II website:
Quote:

The Next Generation Low Voltage Hybrid

The SOHA II was specifically designed to fix a few of the limitations on the original SOHA amplifier. As I see it (and as do many of the SOHA's builders) the SOHA has these four drawbacks:
  1. A poor board design that limits the amp
  2. CCSs that can be complicated
  3. A trimpot for setting the plate voltage of the input tube
  4. No provision for a discrete sand buffer

I spent quite a bit of time trying various ideas to solve these problems while still maintaining simplicity and low voltage. After many theoretical designs and one prototype by Don Basel (dBel84), I finally was able to relieve the limitations on the SOHA. The SOHA II is born.

More info:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/soh...hybrid-335003/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/soh...thread-374941/

The place from where your buying the kit (Glass Jar Audio) will soon offer a new kit for the SOHA II also, it is said to cost about 200$ (enclosure and transformer included).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back