DIY amp for W1000?
May 25, 2003 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ROK3

New Head-Fier
I just recently purchased the w1000's and am looking to start a DIY amp project. I've done some soldering before but it's been a while.

The amp will be for home use only. I listen primarily to Jazz, Alternative, and Classic Rock. I really love to realax to trumpet and saxaphone...

Thanks again for all your help you guys have been a great resource in the selection of my headphones and I look forward to your advice on this as well.

--ROK
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello,

I am a multinational Japanese, but I grew up in Akihabara. I can even tell you stores.

If you are up to pretty high level system, Try BP SCA-7511. This uses a pair of SATRI amplifiers. I have been told that it sound real good. But it is pretty complex. You can access and read more about it at Tachyon.

http://www.tachyon.co.jp/~sichoya/bp...1/sca7511.html

(SATRI-IC cost 50 bucks a pop. 100 bucks a pair. I couldn't afford it so I never tried myself.)

If you are not up to throwing away some cash. Try CMOY amp. It is basic non-inverted negative feedback amplifier.

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/proje...=cmoy2_prj.htm

You will observe there are many others available in the HeadWize library.

I have few interesting designs using GOA topology, etc. But they are very complex.

Anyways, I have a feeling that Tachyon Shichoya-san's master, Yamazaki-san is far more useful considering his position. Note also that Shichoya-san has a Discussion Forum, also.

Tomo

May 26, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the help Tomo! What I'm wondering right now is whether I might be better off with the Gilmore Kit or maybe a META 42? Thanks again for your help.

--ROK3

May 26, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Hello,

Actually considering where you are, I would like you to contact Shichoya or Tachyon. Site address are already stated. I say so because they can provide better advices more proper to your local. For example, getting Burr Brown IC in Tokyo is difficult.

META and Gilmore amps both suit your needs (low impedance load). META is easiest, but some quality is compromised. Gilmore amp is supposedly pretty good, but very complex.

Personally, I do not use either because my needs are different I use K240M which pose very high impedance load. I have a customized amp just for it.

I do own BUF634 + OPA627 amplifier to go with my Etymotics headphones. It does NOT contain multiloop, but it pairs headphones very well.

Note Mr. Jan Meier's headphone amplifier is very renown as well. And, few companies in Japan have been importing them as well. So I believe this is your best bet for now.

Tomo

May 27, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Tomo: Thanks for the advice! I'm looking into finding a source for the parts in the area here. I do not speak the language unfortunately and it is getting frustrating...

Anyone else have thoughts on what amp would go well with the W1000's? I'd like to have something I don't have to upgrade if I should decide on new headphones in the future... Thanks again for the help!

--ROK3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back