DIY AC Power Cord
May 8, 2020 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dotashope

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have some questions about making my own power cords. I initially thought of using speaker wires, and on some posts it says speaker wires are not safe for power cords. So I'm eyeing on this one https://www.amazon.com/PW-4-100BHQA-Black-Quality-Gauge-Battery/dp/B00GS54WU0, and also this one https://www.hubbell.com/hubbellpowe...ar-Jacket-Copper-Grounding-Cable-20/p/1647367. What's the difference between a grounding wire and a power wire? What gauge of wire is recommended? And is thicker speaker wire like 14 awg or so a safe option here? Thanks!

May 8, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 10
I've also been in the process of making some DIY power cables, so I could provide some insight here.

The wire guages of the options you provided are excessive; the absolute max you would ever need is 9AWG per wire (3 wires make up a power cable), and that's maybe for a 2000w amp. In reality, 14AWG is fine for almost any application you could need it for, 12AWG to be safe if you're using it for speaker power amp. I wouldn't use any of the wires you linked for hifi or headfi applications.

The type of wire for the ground wire and the live/neutral conductors can be the same type of wire, there's nothing different in design.

Other considerations you have here are shielded vs. unshielded. Many recommend using shielded cable for power applications.

May 8, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 10
I've also been in the process of making some DIY power cables, so I could provide some insight here.

The wire guages of the options you provided are excessive; the absolute max you would ever need is 9AWG per wire (3 wires make up a power cable), and that's maybe for a 2000w amp. In reality, 14AWG is fine for almost any application you could need it for, 12AWG to be safe if you're using it for speaker power amp. I wouldn't use any of the wires you linked for hifi or headfi applications.

The type of wire for the ground wire and the live/neutral conductors can be the same type of wire, there's nothing different in design.

Other considerations you have here are shielded vs. unshielded. Many recommend using shielded cable for power applications.
Thanks a lot! I saw the tutorial and the making process is very simple but I'm stuck on wire choices. For speaker wire the only thing I'm worried about is fire hazard, does thicker wire prevent that problem? And about the 2000w amp, is that the power consumption of the amplifier? Lastly regarding the unshielded, I've read about cons of not having the cord shielded, but does that apply to home electronics since the voltage is almost nothing compare industrial applications? Thanks!

May 8, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks a lot! I saw the tutorial and the making process is very simple but I'm stuck on wire choices. For speaker wire the only thing I'm worried about is fire hazard, does thicker wire prevent that problem? And about the 2000w amp, is that the power consumption of the amplifier? Lastly regarding the unshielded, I've read about cons of not having the cord shielded, but does that apply to home electronics since the voltage is almost nothing compare industrial applications? Thanks!

Thicker wires are capable of handling higher amperage, voltage and wattage. However, the 0/1 gauge wire you linked is gargantuanly big. You wouldn't even be able to connect that to standard IEC connectors. You need three wires for any individual grounded power cable, you'd be looking at a cable the size of your fist with those.

As a general rule, 14AWG can handle 12 amps, 1600 or so watts. 12AWG can handle 16 amps and 2000 watts (watts not referring to the output of amp). Source components like DAC will never get anywhere near really testing a 14AWG wire, but you could use 14AWG just to be safe and give a lot of headroom. Same can be said with power amps and 12AWG wire.

Shielding is debatable. The power wires in your wall aren't shielded. But with all of your interconnects and other wires crossing near your power cables, I err on the side of caution and look to shield them.

The easiest way to do a DIY power cable is buy Belden 83803 cable and work from there, but it's not cheap. It is quality, though, and shielded. If you go the unshielded route, Take 5 Audio in Canada sells Mil Spec 14AWG and 12AWG for cheap (you'd need 3 wires); you can tightly braid them for some "shielding", attach to IEC and outlet connectors, and call it a day.

May 8, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Thicker wires are capable of handling higher amperage, voltage and wattage. However, the 0/1 gauge wire you linked is gargantuanly big. You wouldn't even be able to connect that to standard IEC connectors. You need three wires for any individual grounded power cable, you'd be looking at a cable the size of your fist with those.

As a general rule, 14AWG can handle 12 amps, 1600 or so watts. 12AWG can handle 16 amps and 2000 watts (watts not referring to the output of amp). Source components like DAC will never get anywhere near really testing a 14AWG wire, but you could use 14AWG just to be safe and give a lot of headroom. Same can be said with power amps and 12AWG wire.

Shielding is debatable. The power wires in your wall aren't shielded. But with all of your interconnects and other wires crossing near your power cables, I err on the side of caution and look to shield them.

The easiest way to do a DIY power cable is buy Belden 83803 cable and work from there, but it's not cheap. It is quality, though, and shielded. If you go the unshielded route, Take 5 Audio in Canada sells Mil Spec 14AWG and 12AWG for cheap (you'd need 3 wires); you can tightly braid them for some "shielding", attach to IEC and outlet connectors, and call it a day.
I mean, as long as it doesn't set the house on fire I'm down to try it. If it works poorly I can always take them apart and get some quality cord for the cable. Btw does the wire jacket on speaker cable handle well as a power cord?

May 9, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 10
I mean, as long as it doesn't set the house on fire I'm down to try it. If it works poorly I can always take them apart and get some quality cord for the cable. Btw does the wire jacket on speaker cable handle well as a power cord?

Most speaker cable should have sufficient insulation for this purpose. For example, Belden 5000UE speaker cable is a popular choice, has a polymer insulation (which is good) and is 14AWG. Theoretically, usable for power cable application, particularly for source gear which doesn't draw much currently.

May 10, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Most speaker cable should have sufficient insulation for this purpose. For example, Belden 5000UE speaker cable is a popular choice, has a polymer insulation (which is good) and is 14AWG. Theoretically, usable for power cable application, particularly for source gear which doesn't draw much currently.
Thanks a lot! I'll try and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back