Diving in head first?
Oct 21, 2002 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
I am a fairly wild man when it comes to buying music. I like to experiment and one of the ways I do this is by randomly selecting something in a genre I have an urge to discover. My wife says I have an uncanny talent in that I have a 100% track record of stuff I like. Good for me but this could be hazardous to others. With the new store policies of "can't return unless sealed" rule...this can be expensive. I have curbed by urges via downloading, but well...few things in life bring me the excitement of rushing home to listen to a disc by an artist I have never heard of. Will I like it? What do they sound like? Are they popular (most I have tried are indie so no)? Etc.

I'm not a flakey person, and I don't believe in new age voodoo but I swear I have some sort of Wolverinesque hypersense towards music. I can "sniff out" stuff I am going to like. Cool talent which I feel can be perfected. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Yeah, once, I picked up a CD at a used record store in Ann Arbor that had the word Speedball on it -- thinking it was the local Detroit band Speedball, which I kinda dig and have seen play live several years ago at a tiny venue -- but, instead, I learned the CD I bought was a band called Speedball Baby, which, well, sucked.

I would suggest hitting a used record store if you're gonna play music roulette like that. At least you're only out $6.00 instead of $15.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back