Dividend Time Again, What To Buy?
Oct 9, 2002 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

akar

500+ Head-Fier
It's dividend time again in Alaska.
So the question is, what should I buy?

I would like a pair of open headphones.
I am considering some Grados, the AKG K501s or K401s.
I may even consider some Senn 580s or 600s.

I am only looking at open headphones right now.
I am happy with my phones in the closed headphone department.
(Beyerdynamic DT250-80s and DT831s)

I will be getting a new headphone amp very soon, probably a meta 42.

I listen to most types of music and my sources are listed in my profile.

So my question to you is this,
What do you recommend for open headphones?

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 21
I guess the hd580s or hd600s will keep your ears warmer during the winter.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 21
Dividend time? Sounds like lots of money.

Etymotic ER-4S
HD600
Cardas cable for the above
Grace 901 Headphone amp
Sony SCD-1 SACD player
balanced interconnects
iPod 20G model

Should keep you happy whether travelling or chilling (hehe)

Oct 9, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Dividend time? Sounds like lots of money.

It went down this year, it is at $1540.
Every Alaska resident gets a dividend every year.

Quote:

Etymotic ER-4S

While I would like to have these, they don't really fit into the "open" category.

Quote:

Grace 901 Headphone amp
Sony SCD-1 SACD player
balanced interconnects
iPod 20G model

This would put me so far into negative cash flow, I don't think I would recover.

Oct 9, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 21
It's a payment made to every resident of Alaska by the US government. I think it is a subsidy to counter higher heating costs etc. Not only that but you get to see moose!

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
It's a payment made to every resident of Alaska by the US government. I think it is a subsidy to counter higher heating costs etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the dividend actually compensation for letting oil companies drill around the state?

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 21
The dividend is exactly what it sounds like.
Similar to the way a company pays dividends to its stockholders.

And the federal government has nothing to do with it.
It is also not a compensation for the higher costs associated with living in Alaska.

Many years ago, when oil companies wanted to drill in Alaska, they had to pay the start large amounts of money.
The state took this money, formed a corporation, and invested it.
They invested in the stock market and real estate.
They own many properties around the country, inlcuding some malls that are possibly in your area.

The state takes a percentage of the profits from these investments and gives it every Alaska resident, every year.
The fund also supports the state government, which is why we have no state income tax and no state sales tax.

More info can be found here:
Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 21
Hmm, Alaska doesn't sound so bad. ... Still not as good as my former residence, though, where there were no federal income taxes either. And it was tropical.

You're talking about three widely different sets of cans with the Grados, AKGs, and Sennheisers. From what I gather, your Beyers probably have the closest sonic resemblence to Grados: the AKGs will probably sound rather bass-shy in comparison, and the Sennheisers will probably be more tame sounding. Grados have an appeal all their own, though. If you haven't heard them, you should.

kerely

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 21
Alaska sounds better and better...except for the fact that I don't know of any tours there...oh, well...

Is it dry up there? I need to find an area that is low on mold spores, and I was thinking Arizona/New Mexico, but I'm thinking cold and dry will work just as well as desert heat dry...

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 21
Alaska is a huge state, so the weather patterns vary alot in different parts of the state.
I live in the southeast and it is very wet.
It is hard to comprehend how wet if you do not live here, but just for an example I will tell you that it rained almost 90 days straight a while back.
If you wanted to be the most accurate weatherman on earth you could move to southeast Alaska and say it was going to rain everyday from spring through fall. You would be right most of the time.

Up north it is pretty dry. But it is very cold.
Fairbanks is pretty dry, you might like it there.
The temperature in Fairbanks ranges from -66F to 100F.
If you add in the wind chill factor, it feels much colder in the winter.

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Get the Senn HD600's. Very comfortable and very nice. I just enjoy listening to them.

A friend has the HD600's and the Beyer 831's. He didn't love the Senns until he got the RKV MKII. Now they are his favorite.

He took out the foam liners and they are a little brighter now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back