distortion on left side of se530 on one song
Sep 10, 2007 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
hi all, i was listening to my ipod as you do and was flicking through the usher confessions album which is all in apple lossless,all is well until bam,i flick on the 3rd track which is throwback and at the beggining of the song ushers voice is distorted and crackling on the one side.

so obviously i soil my pants and run upstairs to find the track also distorts on my £3000 set up,just isnt as apparent,now ive tried 30 other songs since and none at all have this distortion problem,is this a problem with the recording or my earphones,can anybody try this track and confirm if it exists with their earphones, se530 especially,

as i mentioned every other song is fine but it bugs me that it even happens at all on such high end iem's, any feedback would be appreciated, especially if it puts my mind at rest,

thanx all, Jinxy

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 18
gotta say im astonished at the feedback guys keep em coming
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 18
It might be the ipod.

I'm not sure why it does this, but I listen to a lot of psytrance, and there is this one synth sound that is very common to psy, a kind of squelching psychedelic sweeping noise, that always pans across the headphones. Anytime this sound is played, on a number of tracks from different artists, my headphones always crackle and distort in a manner similiar to how u described.

This always happens no matter what phones or amp is connected to my ipod. This does NOT happen, when i play the same track on itunes (so it is not the encoding).

I have isolated the problem to the ipod, and I'm not sure why it does it... but it annoys me.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all, i was listening to my ipod as you do and was flicking through the usher confessions album which is all in apple lossless,all is well until bam,i flick on the 3rd track which is throwback and at the beggining of the song ushers voice is distorted and crackling on the one side.

so obviously i soil my pants and run upstairs to find the track also distorts on my £3000 set up,just isnt as apparent,now ive tried 30 other songs since and none at all have this distortion problem,is this a problem with the recording or my earphones,can anybody try this track and confirm if it exists with their earphones, se530 especially,

as i mentioned every other song is fine but it bugs me that it even happens at all on such high end iem's, any feedback would be appreciated, especially if it puts my mind at rest,

thanx all, Jinxy

It might be a ripping error, most likely if this also do that in your other set-up...you shouldn't soil your pant for something this small...it's only usher after all
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 18
thanx guys for the reply.all suggestions seem plausable,aslong as its not the headphones i dont care,i dont use EQ and i dont use an amp at the moment,i think the first suggestion sounds right because it only happens on that one song at that one moment at the beggining so could well be a frequency wave the ipod struggles to put out.

yeh usher sucks,but its on ma ipod so i flicked through lol it was just the distortion that got to me a bit,cheers anyway guys i feel a little better now i know its most likely not the headphones because so far they are the most expensive part of my portable setup

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

is this a problem with the recording or my earphones,

The easiest way for you to get an answer to this question is simply to listen to the track with another set of headphones.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

so obviously i soil my pants and run upstairs to find the track also distorts on my £3000 set up,just isnt as apparent

I'm a bit confused by this statement, what exactly was in this system?

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 18
well i dont know what it is but whatever i listen to the track on it always distorts at the beggining when im using the ipod in the setup,the cd itself is not the problem,in my system i have the usual high end seperates but i have a damaged dvd/cd player so i hook the ipod into the system,not a clean and clear,but the ipod itself dont like the track im refering to

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #13 of 18
yeh my earphones are clean,i cudnt clean them more,like i say every other song is fine and yes i do think its an effect on the track but i worried because its so much more noticeable through my se530,anyway thanks all for replying

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 18
i've had that problem on about three songs myself. the cd sounds fine, the ripped song sounds good on the computer in itunes, but you hear the distortion on the ipod.

i've never been able to figure it out -- tried re-ripping and even at different bit rates. i should try ripping in other formats to see it that changes.

just a random thing -- nothing to worry about, nothing is wrong with your equipment or media.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 18
did you use iTunes on windows import it? That software is just miserable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back