Distortion from Stax SR-5 with amp
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HughJazz

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have used my Stax SR-5 with SRD6/SB connected to a Technics SU-600 Stereo amplifier after a longer period of not using them.
Unfortunately, the sound is distorting, like heavy noise on vocals and bass (sounds like really bad/loud mastering X 10). I do not think that it's happening in the headphones, since the sound is bad on speakers also connected to the SU-600, too.
A year ago everything worked fine. What could have happened to the amplifier to make the sound that distorted though it was not moved or used? Can it be fixed?
Maybe somebody has got an idea, thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Jonas

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 3
Amps break. Often the turn on surge after a long period of disuse blows out an old capacitor.

Try another amp. Do not keep putting distorted signal into your Stax - you could roach them in the process.

I would humbly suggest trying a Tripath-based T-amp. They are cheap and I've been using one to drive one of my Stax SR-40 headsets for several years with great success.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply.

Can you name the exact type of amp you use? I found a lot of stuff from China and I don't know if I should trust these offers and connect the Stax phones to such an amp.

Am I doing something wrong if I try to get a used Marantz PM series amp to replace the Technics SU600?

Kind regards,
Jonas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back