Distorted highs with the Sony Sony DVP-NS500V?
Aug 26, 2002 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I'm considering purchasing this player for use with my Etymotic ER4 and a Meta42 amp. However, I read in a CNET review that:

"we heard distortion in peaks at high volumes, indicating that the receiver was working too hard."
confused.gif

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...4-7718444.html

I'm not exactly sure what they are talking about, but it would seem that their receiver has a problem, not the CD player. So, is there something wrong with the CD player? I like my highs good, and if they're distorted I'll get something else.

What's the deal here?
confused.gif

Aug 26, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 21
Act fast on this player,I have heard that stock is near dried up on them and they were discontinued on July 15th.

I have not heard any distortion problems.This player continues to impress me and I still marvel at what is possible at this price point.

Aug 26, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
(damn will they ever start reshipping the 950!).

Good question. I got lucky
confused.gif
and got an early 950 before they stopped shipping to do bug fixing. Fantastic home theater pre/pro, IMO, particularly at the price.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never had any distortion issues with the NS500V.

Aug 26, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
wait, why'd they stop shipping the 950s?

They were trying to resolve an issue with some units causing a quite audible hiss in some (but not all) peoples systems. I was just being testy, I am really quite satisfied with the 1050 and 5 Marantz MA-500's for amplification. The only thing I really miss is the bypass on the stereo inputs.

And now back to our original thread. Again, no distortion on the 500v.

Aug 27, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 21
What Tuberoller said....Get em now or forget it!

I've been to three different Best Buys and have called several others in an attempt to get this player with no luck. Two of the stores I visited had the unit in stock when I called, and subsequently sold them by the time I got there. Both were open box units (priced ~ $129!), both had reportedly been sitting around for a while, when suddenly people started asking about them. Word is spreading...

Bruce

Aug 28, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 21
Much has been said about burn in for this player. Do you have an opinion about length of burn in for this unit? Mine is just crossing the 150 hour mark. I figured 200 hours would be good enough. Yes? It has quite noticeably mellowed from out of the box. How much more mellowing can I expect.

Aug 28, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 21
the highs on my NS500V were a lot more... "noticeable" during the first 20 hours of burn-in, but even at that point i definitely wouldn't can't call them "distorted". they sounded accurate-- just a little too predominant. the sony may sound "a little too detailed" for some people during the first day of burn-in, but even my newbie ears are noticing a pretty significant mellowing in the player as more hours are put on it.

Aug 28, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Much has been said about burn in for this player. Do you have an opinion about length of burn in for this unit? Mine is just crossing the 150 hour mark. I figured 200 hours would be good enough. Yes? It has quite noticeably mellowed from out of the box. How much more mellowing can I expect.

I have about 300 hours on mine now and I haven't really noticed much change over the last month or so. So mine seems to have "settled in" after 200 - 250 hours.

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 21
radrd - I don't think they were implying that the Sony was distorting, I think they were saying that the receiver was. Distortion from the ns500 shouldn't be an issue unless they had a bad unit.

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Since not a single person has had any distortion, it does seem likely that their receiver and/or speakers might have been the problem, or maybe they didn't have the unit they tested broken in enough before the review.

I'm probably going to get the NS500V, but I need to wait a week or two.
frown.gif
My META42 won't be done for ten days at the very least, and since I don't have any way to listen to the NS500V without it, it wouldn't be a good idea to buy it now and use up the 30-day money-back guarantee period that Crutchfield has in case I happen to get a bad one. (I'm a magnet for defective/damaged electronics.
mad.gif
)

I am wondering why the NS500V is still listed on Sony's site for purchase if the stock is really gone. Are you guys sure it isn't just Best Buy that won't be selling them any longer? If the stock was gone, I would think that Sony would be the first site to no longer have them for sale.
confused.gif

Regardless, hopefully there will still be some when I am ready to order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back