Distinguishing Sound Quality?
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thesuperguy

100+ Head-Fier
I have finally moved up towards the $100+ category of IEMs and settled on getting the RE262s after considering things from the HF5 to the R-50. What concerns me is that I might not be able to appreciate the sound of these IEMs because of my lack of experience. When I first upgraded my apple earbuds to the Vsonic gr99s, I will admit, I couldn't find a significant difference at first. A few months have passed and I decided to do another A/B comparison and boy do I hear a difference now.

This time, with 120 dollars being my main motivation, I want to be able to distinguish good from bad with my FIRST listen instead of waiting for my ears to adjust and tune themselves in over the course of a few months. I would like to know methods used to accurately compare earphones and what I should be listening for so I can easily justify spending this hefty sum of money!

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Then there is my dilemma of only ever owning one pair of IEMs and therefore having no idea which sound signature I prefer. I'm also the kind of guy who enjoys jumping into the deep end without previous training. I guess this thread is me screaming for help after jumping in without any swimming lessons :/

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Perhaps some analytical listening or appreciation tips from experienced members might be able to help you get started again faster. I am not worthy enough of giving advices, but I believe some more experienced members may chip in?

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Well, the kind of music you listen to is a start. Some headphones work better for certain types than others.

Have you ever listened to music and said "Aw, I wish I could hear the vocals better." or... "The treble is kind of harsh. I like it when it's smoother." or "These sound kind of thin, or too sharp to my ears." or "Man, I wish I could hear the details more clearly."

Some people tend to prefer dynamic drivers to balanced armatures, and vice versa. You might be able to go to a store (even if it's a crappy one like best buy) and then test out some different headphones. You can write down the name and what you thought of their sound, which you likes/disliked and why.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 6
I suggest you take a look at Head-Fi's glossary of sound. Learn what the words we use to describe sound mean then listen for those changes. Just pick one or two words a day that interest you and learn their meanings. Eventually, you'll be able to put pieces of the puzzle together hearing the differences / what an IEM is trying to tell you.

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary

Special note to the R-50 you mentioned, I have a pair, they're one of the most detailed, spacious IEM's I have heard, their imaging and instrument separation is very accurate. With the correct source and suited genre they can really impress for the price..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back