Disney Music
Mar 9, 2006 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been ripping CD's since last damn week in my change from iRiver to iPod and I just got done with my multitude of Disney stuff and created a playlist. Listening to it right now and I have to say I sure miss the old Disney.

It's not for everyone but I am a big kid and love the movies, parks, and music for that good feeling you get from what to me is just wholesome and positive escape from reality. I believe Tarzan was the first Disney movie that really moved away from the characters singing (unless you count Elton John). Long gone are the days of Howard Ashman and Allen Menken and their predecessors. Does anyone else miss the old Disney? Anyone else enjoy the music from Disney??

Some of the stuff on my playlist:

Yo Ho (A Pirates Life For Me) - Disneyland
Grim Grinning Ghosts - Disneyland
Be Prepared - Lion King
The Bare Necessities - The Jungle Book
Friend Like Me - Aladdin
When You Wish Upon A Star - Pinocchio
Swanee River - Disneyland
Let's Get Together - The Parent Trap
The Mob Song - Beauty and the Beast
Under The Sea - The Little Mermaid
You Can Fly - Peter Pan
The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Fantasia
Laughin' Place - Song of the South

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 21
I've got a Dave Brubeck album, "Dave Digs Disney", that AFAIK has never made it to CD. Give a Little Whistle, Heigh-Ho, When You Wish Upon a Star, and Some Day My Prince Will Come are the highlights. Good stuff.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
I've got a Dave Brubeck album, "Dave Digs Disney", that AFAIK has never made it to CD.

It did make it to CD -- oddly enough, it popped up in my Amazon recommendations just yesterday.

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
I've got a Dave Brubeck album, "Dave Digs Disney", that AFAIK has never made it to CD. Give a Little Whistle, Heigh-Ho, When You Wish Upon a Star, and Some Day My Prince Will Come are the highlights. Good stuff.

Paul Desmond's "Someday My Prince Will Come" is darn fine.

Has anyone seen that kooky 80s cover compilation, Stay Awake? Michael Stipe sings "Drip Drip Drop" with the Indigo Girls at his very drippiest. The Replacements do "Cruella DeVille" and Los Lobos - "I Wanna Be Like You." I think Sinead O'Connor does "Someday My Prince" while a rambunctious Tom Waits hollers something roughly approximating the Dwarves Work Song.

Well, there's the cd. Surprising though, they've taken out the Los Lobos track. Curiouser and curiouser. -- It also looks like they've transferred everything to a horrible medley-structure. Research the lp on ebay if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Man, that lp is much superior:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Various-STAY-AWA...QQcmdZViewItem

HIGHLIGHTS: I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) by Los Lobos, Heigh Ho (The Dwarfs Marchinig Song) by Tom Waits, the tracks where jazz artists Bill Frisell and Wayne Horvitz interpret the music of a Disney flick, Sinead O'Connor singing Someday My Prince Will Come, Sun Ra and His Arkestra performing Pink Elephants on Parade from the movie Dumbo, The Replacements lending a post-punk midwestern rock approach to Cruella De Ville and the entire project closing with Ringo Starr singing When You Wish Upon a Star with special guest Herb Alpert.

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 21
Here are my favorite Disney albums:

Louis Armstrong - Disney Songs The Satchmo Way
B000001M3R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

- Fantastic album! It seems Louis loves Disney music. This album is often overlooked but I think it is one of Armstrong's greatest. He really sings with style and his joy really comes across in the music.

Heigh Ho! Mozart
B000000709.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

- Just plain fun! Sound is excellent as well. Love the mainstreet electrical parade track.
icon10.gif

Bibbidi Bobbidi Bach: More Favorite Disney Tunes
B00000070H.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

- More fun. Fantastic sound as well.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 21
I was a bit surprised to see something from "Song of the South". I think Disney would like that movie to quietly disapear. A guy at work is so mad at Disney because they won't release the movie. You can find it available at foreign sites, but I heard the quality is bad. I assume you have a soundtrack. Is the quality any good?

Looks like your inner child runs free
icon10.gif
Stay young!

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
I was a bit surprised to see something from "Song of the South". I think Disney would like that movie to quietly disapear.

Yeah - I completely agree. The few scenes which have seen the light of day are usually very short and are edited.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks a bunch Disney!
mad.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 21
I don't have that soundtrack but songs from it are on Disney compilation CD's I have. It's funny that they claim they won release it because of the whole tar baby/black association yet Uncle Remus is black! Oh well, I guess we'll just have to enjoy Splash Mountain!

I never really cared for the vocal remakes of the classics by other artists but LFF has some very nice picks for the instrumental versions.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Given the recent Disney music praise I thought I'd bump this thread. I'm listening to the Swisskapolka tune from The Swiss Family Robinsons (the tune from the piano when they were celebrating Christmas IIRC). Damn it makes me mad that this song is gone from the park since they changed the tree house to the stupid Tarzan Adventure... that movie sucked.

Any other Disney junkies make a Disney playlist?

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 21
I miss disney! Alladin "a whole new world" Beaty and the Beast "Beauty and the beest". Little mermiad and marry poppins! Oh and almost the whole lion king sound track. I miss it all
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I know what my next list of dvds is going to be.

The music section of head fi has made my wallet sorryier (is that a word?) than the head phone section lol!

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn it makes me mad that this song is gone from the park since they changed the tree house to the stupid Tarzan Adventure... that movie sucked.

It's funny...Disney's Tarzan had the only Phil Collins music I ever liked.

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny...Disney's Tarzan had the only Phil Collins music I ever liked.

Never been a fan of Collins but when Disney no longer had the characters sing in the animated movies (which started with Tarzan) I felt the movies lost a lot of the Disney magic.

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back