Dishonored 2
Jan 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #16 of 22
Overall this game is a mixed bag.  Gameplay mechanics are pretty much a universal improvement over the first, mission design is more unique than ever.  Every mission has its own catch, its own distinct attribute, and it uses it expertly.

On the other hand, level design has a bit less artistic attention to detail than the first, be it small things like the repetitive propaganda and graffiti while the first game had more diversity, or large things like how the first game simply has less environmental/architectural repetition overall, not that Dishonored 2 is horribly offensive in this regard.

The biggest flaw with Dishonored 2 is its writing.  It is so incomplete, so hollow.  It has only two real characters besides yourself, and it relies too much on the first game's character development, not really bringing any of its own.  Hardly any dialogue and none of it memorable.  Dishonored had a very simple story but it was filled with style and had excellent execution; The Hounds Pit Pub was full of memorable characters, however small they were, and it felt like home.  Nothing like that here.

Also, Dishonored 2 is a technical mess.  It is using id Tech 5, a pretty bad engine, and is the worst showing of id Tech 5 I have ever seen.  Frame pacing issues all over even if the performance isn't terrible anymore.  So unsmooth, far too unsmooth for this kind of game.  They should've stuck to the old UE3 and just tweaked it slightly, and invest more time and money into writing

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 22
IMO the entire morality system in this game is more than a little bit skewed. I'm not going to give too much away for those who haven't played it but on the very first mission: your two options are to knock a guy out or kill him, simple. But the devil is in the detail, if you knock him out you end up locking him in a vault with barely any food/water and have him starve to death, and the "chaotic" alternative to that would have been to kill him outright.

Complete BS, particularly when the game punishes you for it, Deus EX handled this better.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 22
  IMO the entire morality system in this game is more than a little bit skewed. I'm not going to give too much away for those who haven't played it but on the very first mission: your two options are to knock a guy out or kill him, simple. But the devil is in the detail, if you knock him out you end up locking him in a vault with barely any food/water and have him starve to death, and the "chaotic" alternative to that would have been to kill him outright.

Complete BS, particularly when the game punishes you for it, Deus EX handled this better.

I wouldn't say Dishonored 2 "punishes you" for it, also it is said that it's enough food/water for him to survive (although not for how long).  But pretty much every aspect of writing in Dishonored 2 is rushed and not even a serious attempt.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 22
You'll really love it dishonored 2 is simply a great game, I've played through 3 times now..enjoy

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 22
I'm really starting to appreciate the level design in D2, in the original game there were some points that made it almost impossible to complete a ghost run. There are more options in D2 that make a ghost/no-kill run more of an enjoyable challenge. Though I have to say early investment in the bend time power is crucial for a successful ghost/no-kill run. For added difficulty, my next play-through I'm going to refuse the outsiders mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back