Discman with defeatable anti-shock?
May 17, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 16
Unfortunately, among new (current-model) PCDPs, you'll either get a model whose anti-shock buffer cannot be turned off at all whatsoever (but many of those can be switched between compressed and non-compressed buffering), or you'll get a model that doesn't even have any anti-shock at all whatsoever.

May 18, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by eMpAtHy
defeatable meaning that u could break the anti-shock?

there should be a lot of them, but drop it and it will probably stop playing.

When I first saw this posting, I was thinking about the same thing - just drop it on the floor to defeat it. I think the "defeatable" modifier is sort of misleading.

May 18, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Empathy, defeatable does not mean that I could break the antishock. It means that I'd have the choice to turn it on or off. It would be easier to drop my Xp7 so I would not have to worry about the audiophile buzz.

Eagle, my question is how do I know if the antishock compresses the audio or not.....

Lisa, It looks good but it does not have a line out......

By the way, look what I just found..........to good to be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...e02929136bceaa

Thanks

May 18, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 16
"Playback time (anti-skip on): 10 hours (AAA battery x 2) / 6 hours NiMH battery
Playback time (anti-skip off): 6 hours (AAA battery x 2) / 5 hours NiMH battery "

This must be a typo (?). I'm guessing its the reverse.

Wonder how it sounds? Doesn't list the headphone out power.

May 18, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar
By the way, look what I just found..........to good to be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...e02929136bceaa

Yeah, I have one of those, it sounds pretty good. Nothing spectacular, though. Juan (cd44hi) has also heard it. I don't remember Hirsch's reaction.

May 18, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 16
tmann, no they are right. Keep in mind that when you turn the anti-skip feature on, the cd spins so fast for a few seconds therefore the info is buffered and then the disc spins very slow. What you hear is what it has already been buffered, that's why the batteries last longer. On the other hand, when you turn the feature off, the disc always spins fast...........so the batteries are depleted faster.

May 18, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 16
I have the samsung mcd-sm60 and am very happy with it. It has on/off anti-skip on normal cd's and it plays mp3's too. The battery life is decent at about 10 hours with mp3's. It's maybe 6-8 hours with normal cd's and no anti-skip.
I have had it for over a year now and I like its sound better than my iriver ifp-395T. You could check it out as you could probably buy it cheap somewhere like ebay. (ebay )

(http://samsung.ca/cgi-bin/nasecabc/e...Specifications)

dj_digital

May 18, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

tmann, no they are right. Keep in mind that when you turn the anti-skip feature on, the cd spins so fast for a few seconds therefore the info is buffered and then the disc spins very slow. What you hear is what it has already been buffered, that's why the batteries last longer. On the other hand, when you turn the feature off, the disc always spins fast...........so the batteries are depleted faster.

OK. Is this true of all anti-skip players (ie D-777). I was sure that I read that anti-skip reduces battery life (and I thought I noticed it on my old Sharp player), but if not - learn somethin' new every day...

May 19, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Dusty, it uses only AA bateries, doesn't it?

No, there's also a power adapter. Just to be on the safe side, I used a voltage adapter that I also happened to have purchased from Audiocubes for my Kenwood system (120V -to- 100V).

I also happened to have one that provided the same voltage as it required (amount, polarity, etc.), leftover from a dead Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back