Disappointed with UM1
Mar 9, 2006 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

harrydog

New Head-Fier
I've had my UM1s for a week and I'm not all that thrilled with them. I can't help but feeling that they're a bit veiled. They seem to be lack the crispness, clarity and detail that I prefer.
I'm thinking about returning them and need advice on what to get. I don't think moving up to the UM2 is the answer because I've been told they have a similar sound. Based on what I've read here, I'm thinking either the ER4P or the E4C, but I'm open to advice. I really don't wantto spend more than $200. I know the Shure and the Ety can both be found for that amount.
Looking for advice.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 40
Etymotic is your friend (either ER6i or ER4P). Crispness/clarity is its middle name.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Etymotic is your friend (either ER6i or ER4P). Crispness/clarity is its middle name.

I see you own both. How do they compare? I'll be using these almost exclusively with an ipod and no amplification. ER4P worth the difference?

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrydog
I see you own both. How do they compare? I'll be using these almost exclusively with an ipod and no amplification. ER4P worth the difference?

Although I don't use IEM's much but, when I do, I prefer my ER4P over any others I have owned both unamped and amped out of my 5G iPod. I like a crisp, clear, and somewhat detailed sound, and the ER4P affords me those qualities.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by harrydog

I like both, the ER6i has a more full bodied sound with a good balance of treble, whereas the ER4S (more crisp than the ER4P) has an ultra detailed sound. The ER4P would be a great middle ground (the 4S needs an amp but the 4P doesn't).

Amazon has the Altec iM716's for $110. It brings you 90% of the way toward the ER4P.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Amazon has the Altec iM716's for $110. It brings you 90% of the way toward the ER4P.

and after you buy the Altecs you'll be wondering what the rest of the 10% sound like... this place is evil i tell you.. evil!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
etysmile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
I prefer my ER4P over any others I have owned both unamped and amped out of my 5G iPod.

I'll second that emotion. I listened to the Shure E2/E4, Ety ER6i, Super.fi Pro 5, UE UM1, and iM716. The ER-4P was the best of the bunch IMO.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 40
The UM1's aren't bad; they do lack some detail/clarity but provide a very mellow listening experience. With a good seal, they provide great bass, excellent dynamics, and they are very comfortable. They are worth a listen, and if you don't like them, thats cool. I had them for a while, and the detail thing wore on me as well, but their still pretty good for single-driver phones. It just depends what you like.

If you have $200 to spend, there are a lot of good choices. I really like my UE SuperFi 5 Pro's, but the Shure E4 is pretty good. If you want to keep the costs down and detail is your main concern, the 6i's might be the ticket.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 40
The tips of the Westone play a very important role...

So far the best tips would be ety triple flange to biflange mod
etysmile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 40
Harrydog -- are these your first IEM's? If so, maybe you're just adjusting to the very real difference in the listening experience. If not, maybe the Westone sound isn't for you, or maybe you wouldn't be happy with IEM's at the UM1's price and performance level.

Do you have any history with particular IEM's or headphones that can give an indication of what kind of sound you're looking for?

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 40
As usual, I'm partial to ety's. But I would skip the ER-4p and go straight to the 4s. I prefer the sound (even unamped) to that of the 4p. Do note that ety's are extremely microphonic -- if microphonics bother you and you're planning on jogging, walking, speaking with your mouth, or moving your eyes a lot, then you will probably find ety's annoying.

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 40
I listen to a fairly wide variety of music, mostly classic rock, and sometimes jazz, blues and classical.

I've been using some Sony IEMs for a year or so. I forget the model number but they retailed for around $50 or $60 if I remember correctly. They're ok but I never expected too much from them in the first place. I now want to get something better but the UM1s just don't do it for me.

To give you an idea of the sound I like, my home speakers are Celestion SL700s that I've had since the early '90s. Most of you may not have ever heard of them. They're small bookshelf speakers with incredible detail and soundstaging. They're almost holographic. They have great highs, mids and upper bass but very rolled off a little below 40hz. These were expensive speakers back then, but well worth it and I still love them. Sure, I would prefer all the detail of these speaker PLUS really low bass capability, but to get that (back then at least) it would have easily cost twice as much.

So, that's the kind of sound I prefer and the UM1s just sound muddy and dull in comparison. I probably would have gone for the Etys right off the bat but so many people don't like them for their lack of bass that I was concerned that I wouldn't like them either. Now I'm thinking that's probably not the case.

Too bad you can't audition IEMs like you can regular headphones. I did some extensive listening comparing Sennheisers and Grados a couple years ago. I definitely prefered the Sennheiser sound, so I've never second guessed my decision to buy the HD600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back