Disappointed with Shure SE310
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audiofool

New Head-Fier
Well, I guess I was hoping for too much. Maybe with additional breakin they will improve. My previous portable rig was a 6gb ipod mini with Etymotic 4p IEMs but it was ripped off. Grrr....

I have pressed my old 4gb ipod mini into service and purchased a set of the Shure SE310 phones. After 10 hours of listening and playing with different foamies, flanges etc. I am getting great isolation but the sound is just muddy compared to the Etymotics. True, 4Ps had many happy hours of listening........... I should point out that my home system is Class A feeding Magnepan 3s so I know what the music should sound like. Probably why I liked the 4Ps so much.

Should I hope for more with longer breakin or should I just cut to the chase and exchange them for Etys?

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 4
dont worry its a common fault with etymotic listeners, the etymotics tend to ruin your low frequency signal input sensors
wink.gif
tongue.gif
what your actually hearing is the basssss that is in your music that wasnt too well presented on the ety's.

na im kiddin, theres no burn in required for balanced armature IEM's, but your ears just need to adjust because like i said any hint of bass tends to freak ety users out as the mid-low range didnt exist with ety's, give your ears a few hours of listening and you will be loving em
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont worry its a common fault with etymotic listeners, the etymotics tend to ruin your low frequency signal input sensors
wink.gif
tongue.gif
what your actually hearing is the basssss that is in your music that wasnt too well presented on the ety's.

na im kiddin, theres no burn in required for balanced armature IEM's, but your ears just need to adjust because like i said any hint of bass tends to freak ety users out as the mid-low range didnt exist with ety's, give your ears a few hours of listening and you will be loving em
rolleyes.gif

My Ety's sounded like the Maggies, accurate low end just not boomy or bloated. But focussing on the mids and highs, these Shure IEMs are not up to snuff. Female vocalists sound like they have a cold. Brushes on cymbols do no have their usual sparkle.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Ety's sounded like the Maggies, accurate low end just not boomy or bloated. But focussing on the mids and highs, these Shure IEMs are not up to snuff. Female vocalists sound like they have a cold. Brushes on cymbols do no have their usual sparkle.

so go get the ety's then because nothing anyone here says can change your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back