Disappointed with my Sennheiser HD598s. Thoughts about this..
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:
Well, consider trying it with your speaker amp then, might work out better than the e11...
Glad I could help. The only thing missing on the HE-400 is that well balanced treble, but it has its own charm, making it an aggresive 'phone which compliment your senn well 
size]

But it is still kinda dark...

Thanks again, david.  I only use my E11 for portable use, I don't use it at home at all.  99% of the time, I'm running out of my Essence STX on my PC, but I use my Arcam for listening to my CDs and vinyls.  It's a bit of a PITA though, as the headphone output doesn't automatically disable the speakers, so I have to remove a terminal from the back of them to shut 'em up!

I like aggressive sometimes.  That's what I loved about the Grado SR80s when I first got them (my first 'proper' headphone) about 15 years ago.  They'll also be back in action soon after my recabling job (a little nervous as I've never used a soldering iron before!)

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #47 of 67
I do mean right through the speaker output

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #48 of 67
I do mean right through the speaker output

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #49 of 67
Jan 24, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #51 of 67
Quote:
You gotta be kidding, Dave!

I'm as serious as ever
biggrin.gif
. Many do it with their HE-500/6. These are planar magnetic! The lcd2/3 is rated for like 15watts.
What is the specs of your speaker amp, how good is it?

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:
Thanks again, david.  I only use my E11 for portable use, I don't use it at home at all.  99% of the time, I'm running out of my Essence STX on my PC, but I use my Arcam for listening to my CDs and vinyls.  It's a bit of a PITA though, as the headphone output doesn't automatically disable the speakers, so I have to remove a terminal from the back of them to shut 'em up!

I like aggressive sometimes.  That's what I loved about the Grado SR80s when I first got them (my first 'proper' headphone) about 15 years ago.  They'll also be back in action soon after my recabling job (a little nervous as I've never used a soldering iron before!)

Now that you have a list of potential candidates, its time to go try these for yourself. Everyone here has their own preferences, and no one can say for certain you'll like what they like.

Take your music along with you, most shops will have an amp, and try the headphones. The more time you spend here, the more jumbled up your list will become.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:
The HE-400 is far more realistic sounding in general than dt880 to me. Mostly due to its sounds stage and good mids/ quality bass. The dt880 is a bit boring to me. Fairly analytical and flat sound and a bit bright, but without very noticeable spikes. To make it short, it would be my choice of 'phone for a studio. It is fairly neutral, but not natural sounding.

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate on the fine distinction implicit in your last sentence. How is it that a phone is neutral but not natural?

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate on the fine distinction implicit in your last sentence. How is it that a phone is neutral but not natural?

Might be a bit hard to explain. The dt880 seems kinda boring even though it seems neutral. The HE-400 has a more realitsic timbre in general, and it seems more 'grounded'.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:
Might be a bit hard to explain. The dt880 seems kinda boring even though it seems neutral. The HE-400 has a more realitsic timbre in general, and it seems more 'grounded'.

Does 'grounded' mean that it never really takes off?
tongue.gif

I seem to prefer 'boring' headphones. I used and enjoyed the HD595 for many years when many people were insisting it was 'boring'. Now it's the DT880. Or maybe I just prefer headphones that tend to get out the way and let the music come through.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Does 'grounded' mean that it never really takes off?
tongue.gif

I seem to prefer 'boring' headphones. I used and enjoyed the HD595 for many years when many people were insisting it was 'boring'. Now it's the DT880. Or maybe I just prefer headphones that tend to get out the way and let the music come through.

I have the HD-555 with some mods performed.  I don't find the headphone really that boring at all.  In fact, it was the recent purchase of a used HD-555 that put me back into looking at Sennheiser once again.  My HD-555 seems to have a bit less bass, but still great mids and detail when using them powered off of my computer audio setup with a separate DAC and amp.  However, when plugged into my Yamaha 2-channel systems, which do feature some control over the tone with a variable loudness control, the HD-555 headphones perform really good.  They may not be an exciting headphone, but they just do music right, and the headphones are very comfortable when compared to many other offerings out there.  This has lead me to re-affirm my personal preference is to never buy another "on-ear" headphone again as I just don't like the comfort, or level of discomfort in having the pads mashed onto your ears.  It creates an environment for uncomfortable listening relatively quick.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:
I'm as serious as ever
biggrin.gif
. Many do it with their HE-500/6. These are planar magnetic! The lcd2/3 is rated for like 15watts.
What is the specs of your speaker amp, how good is it?

It's an old, but very nice Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amp that delivers 50W into 8 ohms.  I wouldn't have the balls to hook them directly into the speaker outputs, especially knowing how loud they drive my Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floorstanders!
Quote:
Now that you have a list of potential candidates, its time to go try these for yourself. Everyone here has their own preferences, and no one can say for certain you'll like what they like.

Take your music along with you, most shops will have an amp, and try the headphones. The more time you spend here, the more jumbled up your list will become.

Thanks for you input, but there is nowhere to try the HifiMans here in Manchester.  I don't know of anywhere that has the DT880/600s ready for trial either, but will scout around.  This is why I'm trying to get as many impressions as possible on here before buying.  I guess I could try and return if I was very unhappy with something, but I can't imagine being unhappy with the HifiMans having read the feedback on headfi.  If I decide not to spend that much, I may opt for the DT880s still, but I can feel myself leaning to the HE-400s.

You're right that my list is getting bigger, as I've now also added the Ultrasone Signature One's and the Shure SRH-1840s to my possibilities!  Any quick feedback on them would also be welcome!

I'm getting a pair of DT770/250s to try for a week, so that will at least give me an insight into the Beyer sound.  If I really don't like them, then I probably won't go for the DT880s.  I know they are different beasts, but there must they can't be miles apart.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #58 of 67
Quote:
It's an old, but very nice Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amp that delivers 50W into 8 ohms.  I wouldn't have the balls to hook them directly into the speaker outputs, especially knowing how loud they drive my Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floorstanders!

You shouldn't really worry about it, though. They can possibly only put some 11 watts into 32 ohms eg. the HE-400. There is a hole thread dedicated to using the ortho's with some emotiva speaker amp: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/hifiman-he-500-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

If you are still worrying, you could just add an resistor or something similar.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #59 of 67
Another vote for the HE-400.

These are in my opinion the best bang for buck headphones right now. There are also a lot of modifications available that don't cost anything.
Such as the jergpads (mods for the stock pleathers) which evens out the entire spectrum, making them sound much more balanced.

The He-400s are very customizable, and the drivers show some incredible potential.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #60 of 67
Right!  After much reading and pondering, I'm about to buy the HifiMan HE-400s.  There's no way for me to try these first locally, so I'm just going to order them from the USA (cheaper) and hope for the best.  I got a listen to a pair of 770/250s for a week and they were ok, but nothing stood out and nothing grabbed me any more than anything I currently own.  They were a little more balanced than the HD598s to my ears, but not as engaging to listen to.  So, I'm jumping past the 880s for the HE-400s.  I really hope I like them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back