Disappointed with ATH-ES7
Dec 17, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SolidSlug

Head-Fier
So, I wanted to find better than my trusty PX-100 portable headphones and took a chance on those ATH-ES7...

I am disappointed:

1) These are too small for my ears. These circumaural headphones are probably designed for people with small heads and ears.
2) They are not comfortable.
3) They don't sound any better than my PX-100 portable headphones.

Therefore, the hunt is still on for something that would surpass the PX-100.

Again, the requirements:

- Portable
- Reasonable quality
- To be used with an iPod exclusively
- Circumaural or supra-aural, open back or closed back
- Less than $150

Considering you can pick up the PX-100 for less than $35, I find them to be an incredibly difficult pair to beat.
This being said, between $35 and $150, I assume there should be something better.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 17
"These circumaural headphones are probably designed for people with small heads and ears."

They aren't circumaural, they are designed to sit on the ears. Bend 'em. Search the threads for guidlines on how to bend them.

General consensus is that they need time to sound their best. You may still not like them, but don't be too hasty.

Mooch

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 17
Interesting
confused.gif

Can you be more clear about it pls.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Mine sounded the same as new after many hours of burn in. They are what they are and if you don't like them now, you aren't going to like them after "burn in." If it's the snarly mids you don't like, try a pair of K81DJs for half the price.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 17
I have the wood ATH-ESW9, iGrados, Portapros, and KSC75's. And I still choose the PX-100's most often. I think they are hard to beat for sound quality and comfort. Let us know if you succeed in finding something better.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"These circumaural headphones are probably designed for people with small heads and ears."

They aren't circumaural, they are designed to sit on the ears. Bend 'em. Search the threads for guidlines on how to bend them.

General consensus is that they need time to sound their best. You may still not like them, but don't be too hasty.

Mooch

You mean these cups are meant to sit on top of my ears?
Then they are slightly to large for that.

They feel too discomfortable to justify burning them in.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 17
PX100 is just to dark, for my taste anyway.

And I just dont get, is it just the look, when we taling about AT brand
confused.gif

They cost like EUR 149 up here in Holland. Lets be honest, thats the price of new SR225 or used SR325i, if you are lucky
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagathon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the wood ATH-ESW9, iGrados, Portapros, and KSC75's. And I still choose the PX-100's most often. I think they are hard to beat for sound quality and comfort. Let us know if you succeed in finding something better.

I alreayd have a full drawer of rejects. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact I keep going back to a $35 pair of headphones, after I bought some of those rejects for up to $150.

I don't want to carry an amp around with me, so they must be drivable without it.

Currently, I am considering those HD-485. At 32 Ohm, an iPod should be fine driving them. Their sonority should not be too different from the PX-100.

They are not going to be as portable, though.

That's the funny thing with the PX-100: They look and feel flimsy, but you forget you have them on very quickly. The cord is not 10-foot long. They are light. And they are quite sturdy, actually.

Other than that, I am quite desperate.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 17
HD485 isnt an upgrade from PX100, imo.

Why wouldnt you try Koss KSC75
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSlug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I alreayd have a full drawer of rejects. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact I keep going back to a $35 pair of headphones, after I bought some of those rejects for up to $150.

I don't want to carry an amp around with me, so they must be drivable without it.

Currently, I am considering those HD-485. At 32 Ohm, an iPod should be fine driving them. Their sonority should not be too different from the PX-100.

They are not going to be as portable, though.

That's the funny thing with the PX-100: They look and feel flimsy, but you forget you have them on very quickly. The cord is not 10-foot long. They are light. And they are quite sturdy, actually.

Other than that, I am quite desperate.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD485 isnt an upgrade from PX100, imo.

Why wouldnt you try Koss KSC75
cool.gif

Nah, no clip-ons.

Over the head is what feels most comfortable to me. And I can't bear stuffing anything into my ears; that's why in-ear is also out of question.

I am surprised to hear the 485s are not an upgrade from the PX-100.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 17
then what about the portapros? as long as you like the look or don't mind how you look (i personally, along with my friends, agree they look pretty cool), they often come in as equal to the px100s. It usually comes down to preference of sound and some say they prefer the px100s, some say they like the portapro, etc. etc. For another $35 its worth it imo (coming from someone who prefers the PP over the px100...
biggrin.gif
). Also, they have a lifetime replacement warranty, durable as hell, light and comfortable, etc, etc, and kramer modded/ dremel modded they sound even better.

/end_shameless_plug

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Haven't heard the PX-100 so can't really comment on direct sound comparisons, but I really wouldn't consider HD485's as being very portable. They are circumaural though, and would be more comfortable than the ES7's.

Personally though, I don't find the ES7's that uncomfortable. I found K81DJ's were by far way more uncomfortable for me to use.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Try PortaPro´s then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSlug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, no clip-ons.

Over the head is what feels most comfortable to me. And I can't bear stuffing anything into my ears; that's why in-ear is also out of question.

I am surprised to hear the 485s are not an upgrade from the PX-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back