Disappointed with 595 build.
Mar 27, 2006 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

padi89

100+ Head-Fier
Is it just me or does anyone else find the cable used on the HD595 to be a small bit annoying?.Whatever type of plastic used to cover the cable seems to transmit sound up into the phone when it rubs against clothing or taps against something when you move your head.Its not there all the time and its a pretty mild problem but i do find it a bit of a distraction at times.I would have thought at the price of the phone that maybe this would have been taken into consideration and a better housing would be put around the cable.
I also noticed this on the PX100 if im wearing a jacket zipped up to my neck and the cable is running up through my jacket it can bring the same rubbing noise into the phone when i turn my head sometimes.None of my other brand cans have this problem at all.Just wondering if some people can give their thoughts.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 15
My 595’s finally arrived on Friday at the office. I have not been able to play with them as much as I wanted to over the weekend though.
frown.gif

I am happy with the build quality as they feel very comfortable and light on my head. I also love the one cord versus having a Y shaped cord. My Grado SR60 cord always twists under my chin.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Hmm, I've found the newer Senn cables to be fairly non-microphonic (never had a current HD5x5 though). The oldschool steel ones were more microphonic, though the '80s ones already improved quite a bit upon the really old ones which were really annoying in that regard (they're stiffest, too). Always make sure that the cable is not under tension, otherwise it'll pick up microphonics more easily.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Listen to some Etys for a week or so then complain.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Listen to some Etys for a week or so then complain.

Agreed. People that haven't at least auditioned etys really can't seem to grasp what true microphonics sounds like.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
Agreed. People that haven't at least auditioned etys really can't seem to grasp what true microphonics sounds like.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Using the shirt clip eliminates Ety microphonics for me.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev

Actually I really do not have a problem with the Etys myself but they are known for microphonics. I clip mine to my collar most of the time.

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Well i best avoid ETYs then.I had bought the 595 for acoustic,classical listening and they do fit the bill perfect for me.The microphonics is only really noticeable on the acoustic tracks but like i said its not really bad but just a bit distracting when listening through a full acoustic album.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Speaking of shirt clips, I have a pair of shure e4's and really dislike the microphonics while I am walking, what could I do to reduce it? I wear them over the ears and down the front, are there any usable accesory shirt clips out there?

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev

I guess you don't wear a lot of collared shirts. The clip works great with t-shirts, but most of the microphonics I hear comes from the y cables. I'm not complaining, mind you, just observing.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xirj
Speaking of shirt clips, I have a pair of shure e4's and really dislike the microphonics while I am walking, what could I do to reduce it? I wear them over the ears and down the front, are there any usable accesory shirt clips out there?

The er-6i shirt clip is available from Etymotic, and should work with any earphone/IEM cord:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-acc.aspx

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 15
The SA5K has this like a mofo. It's amplified by the cloth of the cable... sounds like sandpaper rubbing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back