Disappointed in the "audiophile" community...
Dec 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

Longtime Lurker

Head-Fier
Reading around the internet, people act like these headphones have "too much" bass. Even with EQ, they don't pick the small impact or rumble sounds in most hip hop sounds.

My gr07 mkII (an in ear monitor) is more forward across all ranges, has a much deeper bass with more impact, yet very well controlled, and seems to react very well with EQ. I'm beginning to think the audiophile community is full of treble heads.

I guess after trying the gorgeous M50xBL, I've learned to appreciate what I had. Time to send them back.

/rant

*The rant isn't exclusively towards head-fi, but many of the other sites that I've about these as well

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 71
  Reading around the internet, people act like these headphones have "too much" bass. Even with EQ, they don't pick the small impact or rumble sounds in most hip hop sounds.

My gr07 mkII (an in ear monitor) is more forward across all ranges, has a much deeper bass with more impact, yet very well controlled, and seems to react very well with EQ. I'm beginning to think the audiophile community is full of treble heads.

I guess after trying the gorgeous M50xBL, I've learned to appreciate what I had. Time to send them back.

/rant

*The rant isn't exclusively towards head-fi, but many of the other sites that I've about these as well

Which headphones are you sending back, the gr07 or M50xBL?

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 71
Maybe a powerfull headamp will help? And for hiphop you wont need an "audiophile" since for them the flatter frequency response the better.
Maye you need a Dr Beats or some bassy Sony's?

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 71
  I have no idea what this thread is all about.

we are talking about obama's policies in southest asia in regards to the spice trade visa vi oil imports and the cia.  duh

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 71
Audiophiles like , or should like, a perfectly flat sound. Nothing added or taken away.
Any serious Audio forum would agree.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 71
  Audiophiles like , or should like, a perfectly flat sound. Nothing added or taken away.
Any serious Audio forum would agree.

Wow, this sounds like an echo of me a few years ago. I thought I was stating a simple truism, only to be thoroughly reprimanded and informed that this was a very old fashioned idea, that in fact with today's differing genres audiophiles may legitimately prefer  any kind of sound. Mind you, I don't believe it, but lately I've been too frightened to stick my head up above the trench.

Back in the day, like 1980 and before, there was no argument that a true audiophile preferred a neutral, flat response. This was the definition of "hi-fi". Now apparently, with rap, trance and what-have-you, this no longer applies, and it's just whatever you prefer for your chosen genre. Personally I don't see where 'hi-fidelity'--high faithfullness to the original sound--fits into this, but then I'm a very old fashioned person with retrogressive views. I do think, however, that we ought to consider changing Head-Fi to "Head Whatever-you-like", even if it is a bit of a mouthful.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 71
I don't regard Head Fi as part of the traditional audiophile community.I spent 20 years on uk rec audio, pink fish, wigwam, zerogain etc. This place is refreshingly different and most equipment is relatively affordable.
However surely the " closest approach to the original sound " should still be the way still to audio nirvana ?
I personally see most bassheads here as being on an audio journey, that will end with no eq one day. I hope so, looking at the Mona Lisa with blue tinted specs or eating Chateaubriand smothered with ketchup may be fun for a while, but unsatisfying in the end.
Just my thoughts, we all listen in different ways.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 71

Wow, this sounds like an echo of me a few years ago. I thought I was stating a simple truism, only to be thoroughly reprimanded and informed that this was a very old fashioned idea, that in fact with today's differing genres audiophiles may legitimately prefer  any kind of sound. Mind you, I don't believe it, but lately I've been too frightened to stick my head up above the trench.

Back in the day, like 1980 and before, there was no argument that a true audiophile preferred a neutral, flat response. This was the definition of "hi-fi". Now apparently, with rap, trance and what-have-you, this no longer applies, and it's just whatever you prefer for your chosen genre. Personally I don't see where 'hi-fidelity'--high faithfullness to the original sound--fits into this, but then I'm a very old fashioned person with retrogressive views. I do think, however, that we ought to consider changing Head-Fi to "Head Whatever-you-like", even if it is a bit of a mouthful.

I apologize if I am stating the obvious, but there is more to it than a flat response when it comes to "hi-fi," no? If absolute neutrality was the zenith of what a headphone could achieve, by that definition, I think many would agree that Sennheiser HD600 or Etymotic ER4 are superior than Sennheiser Orpheus. But, I think it's clear that isn't really the case in reality.

My take on this subject, is that the concept of music has changed over time. When it comes to classical music, those who are able to reproduce the sound of how the composer intended to sound like received praise. Nowadays, no one cares who the composer is and how he or she intended their music to sound like. A DJ hears a music that interests them, and change it to how he or she wants it to sound like, not the composer. They remove the vocals, increase the tempo, gets rid of certain instrument that they don't want to hear, create an echo, and the list goes on. Surprisingly, it isn't rare for listeners to prefer the DJ's newly created music over the original composer's. On the other hand, I have not heard of a conductor or an audience that enjoyed performing or listening to a classical orchestra without violins, with synthesized instruments, and a BPM of over 240. Now, does that mean all modern music are not music? I am sure there are people out there that do believe that, and I won't judge them for what they say. In fact, I firmly believe that one can make a solid case stating that all modern music are not music. That said, being a young, inexperienced kid that I am, I much prefer to keep everything simple and not think about things too deeply. As long as the headphone I am using sounds good to my ears, I don't care how nasty the frequency graph looks like.

One thing to note though, it does seem to me that I like neutrality and balance, looking at the sound signature of my headphone collection. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 71
  Sennheiser HD600 or Etymotic ER4 are superior than Sennheiser Orpheus.

All CIEMs are inferior to headphones....

Why walk when you have a car
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back