Disappointed by bass in Sony MDR-1R's
May 8, 2015 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ricobanderas

New Head-Fier
So I have a pair of Sony MDR-1R's and love them for their comfort and profile. I put a strong emphasis on comfort since I like to listen to music for long periods of time. The cups and fit (I have a fairly narrow head) are just perfect. But recently I started to listen to more hip-hop on them, and...meh. The sub-bass is just not there at all. These sound absolutely great for things like classical, and vocals especially stand out, but I'm really disappointed by the undefined bass and lack of bass output. Granted I have not tried them with an amp, but have listened to them through a good soundcard in my PC with similar results. 

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a high quality headphone in a similar price range (<$200) that are very comfortable and have a similar profile, but kick up and tighten the bass a notch that would sound good for hip-hop. I was curious if the ATH-M50x's beat them in this regard but I've heard mixed reviews on their bass response. I do prefer a detachable cable, but for the right headphone this is not necessarily a requirement. I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff and any recs are very appreciated.

May 8, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 13
A lot of people seem to prefer the V-Moda M-100. If you can find a deal on it, it should gloriously handle your sub-bass needs (unless you prefer the muddy exaggerated Beats bass) while also being perfectly portable. Granted, some people find these very comfortable but breaking in a pair right now I will admit I hope that the comfort improves.

May 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 13
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm version

You should also read about the M-Audio Q40 that's pretty cheap these days.
The Takstar Pro 80 with HM5 Pads should work as well.

Best Luck!

May 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 13
If you enjoy the Sony that much it might be a better investment trying something like FiiO E11K and bass boosting for those genres. There's also equalizer apps in both Android and App store. You may find a new headphone isn't required at all.

May 8, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 13
If you enjoy the Sony that much it might be a better investment trying something like FiiO E11K and bass boosting for those genres. There's also equalizer apps in both Android and App store. You may find a new headphone isn't required at all.

+1

That's what I did with my AKG550's. I had exactly the same problem, the 550's were great for 90% of what I listened to but the E11K gives a nice bass kick when I need it (mostly for Rock & Metal)

May 8, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Honestly I was trying to avoid having to carry around an amp. I've never had one before and ideally I'd like to not require one. I can definitely see its merits, just wondered if there's a way around it. I never considered myself a basshead, and still wouldn't - but listening to Kendrick Lamar or J Cole on these cans is just terribly unsatisfying. Any know of a good closed headphone for hip hop with great low punch without an amp?

The DT770 is way too big to be considered portable. I may look into the V-MODA's, but am curious of their quality and sound signature. I'm not a huge fan of their look. Gonna do a little research on AKG. 

May 8, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 13
  So I have a pair of Sony MDR-1R's and love them for their comfort and profile. I put a strong emphasis on comfort since I like to listen to music for long periods of time. The cups and fit (I have a fairly narrow head) are just perfect. But recently I started to listen to more hip-hop on them, and...meh. The sub-bass is just not there at all. These sound absolutely great for things like classical, and vocals especially stand out, but I'm really disappointed by the undefined bass and lack of bass output. Granted I have not tried them with an amp, but have listened to them through a good sound card in my PC with similar results. 

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a high quality headphone in a similar price range (<$200) that are very comfortable and have a similar profile, but kick up and tighten the bass a notch that would sound good for hip-hop. I was curious if the ATH-M50x's beat them in this regard but I've heard mixed reviews on their bass response. I do prefer a detachable cable, but for the right headphone this is not necessarily a requirement. I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff and any recs are very appreciated.

What make and model sound card?
Have you tried using the MDR-1Rs with something like a iPod or other digital audio player?
The MDR-1R being only 24-Ohm, might not perform at their best with some sound cards (impedance issues).
And digital audio players should work better with 24-Ohm headphones.
I'm guessing it might not make a difference, but at least try, before returning the headphones.
Also a FiiO E11K ($60) headphone amplifier (plugged into the sound card) with it's bass boost, might help.

ATH-M50X are loud bass with recessed mids, so if your big on mids, the ATH-M50X might not be the best choice.

May 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 13
I do primarily use them with my iphone (5c). The sound card is a sound blaster Z.

I do like the warmth of mids, but miss that low bass response. It's really frustrating to put in my $30 sony EX earphones and have them, as far as I can tell, blow the 1R out of the water in both categories. I've used sony products so long that I became something of a loyalist for a while, but now I'm open to exploring. 

May 10, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 13
  Honestly I was trying to avoid having to carry around an amp. I've never had one before and ideally I'd like to not require one. I can definitely see its merits, just wondered if there's a way around it. I never considered myself a basshead, and still wouldn't - but listening to Kendrick Lamar or J Cole on these cans is just terribly unsatisfying. Any know of a good closed headphone for hip hop with great low punch without an amp?

The DT770 is way too big to be considered portable. I may look into the V-MODA's, but am curious of their quality and sound signature. I'm not a huge fan of their look. Gonna do a little research on AKG. 

For what it's worth, the V-MODA M-100 continue to impress me. The low-end won't disappoint anyone who enjoys their mids and highs. Bass is boosted roughly 8 decibels without the cost of the rest of the sound. These are probably the most portable full-sized headphones that include the sound you seem to be looking for. I find the quality superior to my ATH-700, which many around here find excellent.

May 17, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the rec. I'll look into the V-MODAs, but am concerned about the comfort.

Actually, having been away from my Sony MDR-1R's for a while got me to put on my old Sennheiser 448's. I'm blown away by how much better the bass is on these than the Sony's from a portable audio source.

Bass is very responsive.... but I'm hearing a distinct lack in mids. Does anyone know a similar headphone to 448's that don't sacrifice as much in mid warmth?

May 26, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 13
I felt the same way until i installed the Dynamat mod onto it.

refer to this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r

Did you install it?

Try installing it. It GREATLY improves the bass on it.

After cycling through the $200-300 headphones, I'm content to say the sony MDR 1r after the dynamat mod is the best overall headphone.

May 27, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 13
Whoa, thanks! Had no idea that existed. I'll definitely try it out. 

I got so frustrated lately that my $10-20 EX10LP's were sounding better than my $170 1R's. This definitely looks worth the time and small investment.

May 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 13
take a look at sony's xtra bass headphones. The xb900 seems to be a good look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back