Disappearing opamp alert!
Mar 22, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

funch

Headphoneus Supremus
It seems as Digikey is going to stop selling some of our more popular opamps individually. Once current supplies are gone, we'll have to buy them in quantity. They are: AD845 and the AD8065/66. The AD843's are already gone. So far the 132/134, 227/627/637, and 823 are safe, but for how long? Sorry if this has been posted before, but as I'm starting to configure a PPA v2, I am just noticing it.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 16
Possibly the non-ROHS versions are disappearing? The compliant versions of the AD chips have a different suffix, iirc.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 16
I just ordered some of those lovely AD8065's
smily_headphones1.gif

From Digikey, that is.
I understand your opamp problem, as I was in the same boat.
~Tom

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Possibly the non-ROHS versions are disappearing? The compliant versions of the AD chips have a different suffix, iirc.

As the RoHs compliant parts fill the voids in available stock those parts will forever be off my personal "for audio use" list.Not buying in to the sham and will not use inferior parts.Period
I would rather pay extra for NOS if I must (or shoot straight to Mil-Spec
wink.gif
) and when mosfets,jfets,transistors,caps,resistors begin to gradually also be replaced same thing.Leaded or they can stick it
mad.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
and when mosfets,jfets,transistors,caps,resistors begin to gradually also be replaced same thing.Leaded or they can stick it
mad.gif

I'm not really familiar with the manufacturing processes of opamps and transistors, but how much of the internals are actually composed of lead (versus silicon and other metals)?

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I'm not really familiar with the manufacturing processes of opamps and transistors, but how much of the internals are actually composed of lead (versus silicon and other metals)?

Lead free is all about the bonding process being questionable to say the least and with the combination of increased soldering temp,iffy joints and heat sensitive parts nearby not a pretty picture.

there is a boatload of content right here at headfi on this but for an example of our own first casualty in the "lead wars" read this page.Not pretty man :

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=166960&page=9

begin at post #171

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
begin at post #171

Ugh, I guess I should probably hang on to whatever opamps I have, considering that they might become scarce sometime in the near future.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 16
I use quite a lot of the popular Intersil HA-5002 buffers in my amps. I never noticed any difference when soldering, I even had to re-check the packaging because I wasn't sure, but it turns out they are the lead-free version.
Mind you that I use standard 60/40 solder and a cheapo soldering iron.
Hell, some of these chips are even the SO-8 (SMD) version and I didn't notice the slightest difference.

I haven't tried lead-free solder yet (simply because it can be quite expensive), but the leaded solder + lead-free parts combo worked just fine for me.
In fact I am very happy to have a little less heavy metal around me.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

In fact I am very happy to have a little less heavy metal around me.

bookmark this thread and in two years when the close to organic solder joint melts away at the microscopic level leaving cavities behind tell me how you feel then.

Less metal ?

How about orders of magnetude more metal as the diposable/built in lifespan products begin to pile up in the landfills to be replaced with more junk every two years.

RoHs is a sham based on bad science

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 16
That's very interesting Rick. Do you have anymore details or information on this, because this sounds like a good thing to investigate for something at school.

~Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back