Dirty power!
Nov 6, 2002 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
Hey all! Well Im sitting here looking at my room. I see the all power cables, its a mess. I have one working power outlet (with two 3 prong plugs) in my room. I have 4 power strips conected to each other in a line. I have my 430watt computer, reciver, dvd, tv tuner, vcr, snes, sega, dreamcast, 19 crt monitor, dvd/cd player, record player, phone, dsl modem, ethernet hub and some other things conected to it. Most of these devices are on my desk right now. I wonder, could this create dirty power? Im on backorder to get my mg head (OMG I CANT WAIT!). I do plan to use my mg head, reciver, computer, cdplayer at the same time. Is there anything I should or could do to improve things? Right now I do have a little problem the CTR image shaking and its gets really bad if i turn on the 1800 watt heater. Any sugestions would be helpfull. Thanks!

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm not sure how much you're willing to pay, or how far you'll go to get good quiet power coming into your room there, but DarkAngel spoke highly of the Audio Prism QuietLines. They can be had for about $200 for 8 of them. You might want to PM him to see if he might be able to give more info!!

Here's a site with info and pricing:

http://www.fullswing.com/audioprism/quietlines.html

Hope this helps some!!!

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 16
I own the HTS800, and am not at all impressed with it. If you want my .02, go with the HTS1000 or 1100, they work much better. The 800 only gives what they call "stage 1" filtering, which doesn't clean up the AC very much. The 1100 does a much better job of cleaning and filtering the incoming AC power. It uses "stage 2" filtering. I have seen an actual demonstration using a noise sniffer at BestBuy where you can hook up this device to teh AC outlet and see if there is any noise coming in to the 1100, and if there was any noise coming out of a socket. Whatever noise there was coming in, there was none coming out. I have over 9 years of working with very high tech electronics in the Navy, so I am not in any way a novice. I also played with this device when the salesman was not around to verify that it wasn't just some trick they would do to introduce the noise.

Sounds like you have some real noise issues due to all the various devices you have hooked-up in the same room, so I would recommend spending the extra money and get something that will actually work, and work well! I believe that there are many other people here that use the Monster Power 1100s, so they can tell you their experiences.

I would also look at www.audiogon.com and www.ebay.com to search for a used 1100 and try and save some dough!! This addiction/habit is bad enough, so if you can save some money while feeding it, I highly recommend it!! Hope this helps!!

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
You can buy AudioPrism Quiet Lines for $25 each from a4audio.com..

- Wasif.

Thanks Wasif!! I thought they only came in 8 packs. So, if you're AC line isn't too bad and you only need 4 to clean it up a4audio is the place to go!! Plus, I noticed that these units are the Mk 3s for that price. the Mark 2s are about $1 cheaper per unit. It would seem better to just blow the whole wad and get the Mk 3's, but what do I know??????

Lord Bless
doug p.

Nov 10, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Hey PAGEFAULT, you have one outlet? I don't know squat about power filters/conditioners. I do know that you should not have all that stuff plugged into the one circuit in your room. Make or buy a good extension cord to run from another room off of a different circuit to run some of that stuff. Like the non audio stuff. Think big fat wires.

Better yet, install another outlet on it's own circuit breaker for the audio gear. That idea is usually above most peoples means/ability.

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Hey PAGEFAULT, you have one outlet? I don't know squat about power filters/conditioners. I do know that you should not have all that stuff plugged into the one circuit in your room. Make or buy a good extension cord to run from another room off of a different circuit to run some of that stuff. Like the non audio stuff. Think big fat wires.

Better yet, install another outlet on it's own circuit breaker for the audio gear. That idea is usually above most peoples means/ability.

Yes I do, but here is the kicker. My room on the 2nd floor of my house is on the same circit breaker of the kitcken minus the stove. That includeds the microwave, dishwasher, lights and toaster. If I run a portable heater in my room with the microwave on it trips the circuit. Also If I run the heater my montitor shakes very very bad, the image moves up and down about 1/2 inch every second. Im begiuning to think a power filter might help.
confused.gif

EDIT : anyone use the Panamax M-4300? better or worse than Monster Cable MP-HTS2500 Reference Power Center or
Monster Cable MP-HTS2000 12 ? Thanks

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 16
Do a search here on the Monster PB1100-- it's great value for the money. It's the upgraded version of the HTS 2000, with improved filtration and surge protection. I would not dip below the 1100 in the Monster line, though.

If you opt for something else, beware all power strips/conditioners that don't provide surge suppression!

Mark

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Pagefault,

I don't see any mention of your budget?? Most people will say the same thing as MarkL: get at least the 1100, but look around at other groups like HeadWize, Audio Asylum and Google to look at a comparison of higher priced units like the 2000, 2100, or 2500.

Your power problem sounds pretty serious. Why don't you try and buy an HTS1100 and give it an in-home trial with all your stuff running and see if your monitor still goes nuts. If it fixes the problem, you can decide whether you want to keep it or spend more money on something else. If it doesn't work, take it back and DEFINITELY try something more expensive with higher filtering abilities. At least this way you have next to nothing to lose, and it will answer this question once and for all. Just make sure to post your results and tell us what happened!!!

Lord Bless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back