Directional Vs Non Directional
Mar 13, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 22
This whole thing started when i got the Black diamond cable from Rnb180. It has source and amplifier on the cable .. So i was wondering why ??? Hmmm.. The blue dragon cable i had ealier didn't have any of these markings. As to sound quality i hear the difference but i think it is not due the directional aspect of the cable but Black diamond is an upgrade over blue dragon cable

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 22
I beleive Jahjah sums it up
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 22
For low frequency (audio) applications, cable shielding is typically terminated only at one end. This is done to eliminate the potential problems of having a ground-loop within the cable. For high freq, the cables are terminated at both ends since the shield may start to act as a radio antenna, and this is more of a problem than simple ground loops.

It is "more popular" for cable shields to be terminated at the receiving end, but there isn't a great deal of reason behind this. The philosophy is that shielding should be grounded at common "nodes" such as the chassis. This is the only instance I know of where a cable could be considered "directional." Between different grounded components, cable direction is surely irrelevant.

That said, I have strong doubts that anyone would be able to hear a difference were a cable installed "backwards." Unless the cable is used in a very noisy electromagnetic environment, the shield termination direction is as big a performance factor as a carbon-fiber shifter knob is for your car.

This is, however just my opinion as an electrical engineer
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #21 of 22
Only reason RCA cables are directional is if they are shielded and the shielding is only connected to ground on one side, which should be on the source end.

If the RCA has no shielding than there is no point for directionality because music signal is AC so it travels both ways anyway.

Maybe I'm missing some info there, but that's what I understand about directional RCA cables.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 22
When I ordered my cardas 20ft hpi mini cable they had the arrows pointing the wrong way. I listened to it both ways (with adapters) and found no sound change. I called up cardas and asked if I should send it back to them and have it redone...
the first question out of their mouth was "do you believe it will make a difference?"

lol
Since my answer was no, I saved a bunch of money on shipping and on my car insurance by switching to Gieco....hahahahahaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back