Digital source for headphone and 2 channel setup
Mar 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nickfas

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been lurking this forum for some time now and I wanted to see how you guys would recommend accomplishing the following:

I'm looking for a headphone amp for my RS1i's.  I've decided on a MAD Ear Super II (I think this offers power for more demanding headphones than the Ear + HD, but I'm not entirely sure), but now I need a digital source (figuring out analog is a different problem for a different day).

I need a source that will be able to output to my headphone setup as well as my 2 channel setup.  What would be the best way to accomplish this?  [Digital Source, Analog Source] > Integrated Amp > [Headphone amp (via Pre-Out?) > Headphones], [Speakers]?  If so, what would you recommend to someone who is willing to invest in a long term setup with a strong emphasis on the headphone listening?  Eventually, I'd like to be able to have 2 different headphone flavors using the same amp.

Ultimately, I will be using a dedicated Mac Mini feeding .aiff lossless rips of CD's and high res files.

A few intersting, albeit yet to be auditioned options I saw were the Yulong D18, Naim V-1, Woo Audio or Oppo 105, but I'm also open to recommendations from other manufactures.  My listening is primarily Jazz and Classical, but when I have company over I'd like it to be able to run the gamut from EDM to Classic Rock.  

I liked the Oppo because it was a jack of all trades source that can accept discs and digitally stored media, but I feel I may not use the disc transport very much in favor of ripped CD's.  Most video I just record on TIVO or stream from Amazon Prime Instant.  Anyone have any recommendations regarding this digital source or how I might accomplish using the same source for my headphones and my 2 channel stereo?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Cambridge Audio 752BD - if you can squeeze a local retailer down on price, I'd go for that over the Oppo. 

If price is no limit - go for the Electrocompaniet EMP3. Audiophile nirvana. I will own it one day, oh yes, it will be mine...

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 4
  Hello,

I need a source that will be able to output to my headphone setup as well as my 2 channel setup.  What would be the best way to accomplish this?  [Digital Source, Analog Source] > Integrated Amp > [Headphone amp (via Pre-Out?) > Headphones], [Speakers]?  If so, what would you recommend to someone who is willing to invest in a long term setup with a strong emphasis on the headphone listening?  Eventually, I'd like to be able to have 2 different headphone flavors using the same amp.

Since you also need to integrate the analog source, it's important that your integrated amp also has connectivity options that you'd find in a receiver. Look for full-size amps that have a tape loop (or "rec") in the rear - that's basically just a wire (or a path through the circuit board for the inputs and outputs, as most have this on a separate board, or otherwise isolated from the main board)  going from the inputs to that output, and it doesn't pass through the preamp for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back