Digital Recording Format Poll
Oct 20, 2002 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

blip

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey,

I was curious what digital music file format (i.e. MP3) my fellow head-fier's use so I decided to post a poll.

Am I missing any formats that should be on it?

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 22
WAV
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 22
Ooops... meant to include it... Ah well, I guess it counts as Other.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 22
Computer: Wav or SHN

Portable: Minidisc for on the go and pcdp for stationary listening.

Oct 20, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by final-fantasy
u can hear the difference between CD / MP3 with $80 speakers..

Sometimes yes. It depends on a lot of factors such as bit-rate, encoder, and the content of the music. The biggest problem that I have with MP3 is that sometimes, on some songs it works great... other times it sucks.

Generally encoding at 192+ with LAME makes it okay...but the difference is still evident if you listen carefully. I often hear a slight debalance in the top frequencies.

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by blip
Sometimes yes. It depends on a lot of factors such as bit-rate, encoder, and the content of the music. The biggest problem that I have with MP3 is that sometimes, on some songs it works great... other times it sucks.

Generally encoding at 192+ with LAME makes it okay...but the difference is still evident if you listen carefully. I often hear a slight debalance in the top frequencies.

yes, mp3 is still acceptable most of time, but the real problem is how can i listen to the music with my HD600 directly connecting to a mp3 player.. ? it's crazy to carry an Amp on my way home...
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 22
Hmmm... It looks like MP3 is winning... that's a surprise.

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
although mpc is really starting to intrigue me.

Try it, I think you'll like it. At least I did, but it may be some trick with my ears. (I haven't done blind A/B comparisons so some of my affinity for it might be psychological.)

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 22
I've been considering the use of lossless formats for my collection, but I've already assembled quite a large compilation of mp3s. For me, at this point, I am willing to take the minor quality hit that is between a 256 kbps encoded mp3 and a lossless format. When I've got about 10,000 songs encoded in mp3 (it took me a very long time to rip these...) I really have no interest or space on my HD to rip again to a higher quality.

It's a question of the cost of convenience. For me, it does not surprise me that MP3s are leading. I still listen to CDs when I want the best quality though anyways. A dual system works best for me... CDs for quality preservation and extended listening, MP3s for tunes on the go and convenience.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by final-fantasy
yes, mp3 is still acceptable most of time, but the real problem is how can i listen to the music with my HD600 directly connecting to a mp3 player.. ? it's crazy to carry an Amp on my way home...
tongue.gif

Don't know if you already know...

But there are several prety small options available out there that will allow you to carry an amp on the go. In terms of super-portability, there is the super-mini or the mini which used to be available through fixup.net, and which will probably be available again in the not too distant future. There are also mini versions of the Meta42, which look like they are pretty small and can fit in a pocket. Barring that, there are other amps such as the cha47 which can fit into altoids cans and such.

Just thought you might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back