Digital piano with headphones
Jan 14, 2015 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jsanfilippo5

New Head-Fier
I have a Roladn FP-80 digital piano. Through headphones it sounds awful. Very muddy with a spike in the low mids that gets very tiring to listen too. 

I am using the SONY mdr 7506 headphones directly to the headphone jack - Typically these headphones are on the bright side so the muddiness is driving me nuts. 

I did a test - i recorded the piano internally to eliminate anything other devices in the signal chain - copied the file to a usb thumb drive and played it on a laptop with the same headphones. It sounded excellent. Exactly the way I would expect it to sound.. 

So it seems something must be going on with the actual headphone jack. 

Anyone have any recommendations on what I can do here? 

i was thinking of maybe using the systems line outs into a headphone amp and see if that bypasses the keyboards internal amplification. If this would work - anyone have a recommendation on headphone amp? 

I currently have the 7506 and I will be reciveding a set of sennheiser hd650's this week. 

Thanks in advance!

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 6
It doesn't surprise me at all. They are probably just taking the internal speaker amp on the piano, and running it through a resistor big enough to lower the voltage down into the range used for headphones. The output impedance of that headphone jack is probably horribly high. ANY headphone amp would probably be an improvement. A $40 CMoy amp might sound better!

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Budget is under $200, maybe stretvj to $300 - 

I just received my hd650's today and think id like something to drive these things. They sounds really good through my mac pro, I wanna hear what they sound like with a real amp!

Thanks in advance!

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd get the Magni 2 so you have a headphone amp to use with your piano and your computer, and then the Modi 2 to use with your computer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back