Digital out: Optical or Coaxial?
Jul 25, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I don't think there is really very much break-in period, the improvement was obvious from 1st minute of installation for me, but probably need a couple days before making any final conclusions.

Yep. It took all of about six seconds to notice the difference. At first I thought the glass cable was worse, but then realized I was hearing crappy production on the CD. I got out a better disk, and the improvement over coax was obvious (running Sony 9000ES into Outlaw 950). I A/B'ed briefly, and pulled the coax. Percussion was right using the glass optical, but smeared using the coax. So, the coax will go elsewhere...

jb4555, if your DAC only accept coax, use it. There's no point to adding an optical to coax convertor, as it will only hurt the sound. The signal chain will only be as good as the weakest link.

Jul 25, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #17 of 29
Yes Hirsch,
this has to be the best bang for the buck cable upgrade I have ever made.....plus glass toslink is very lightweight & flexible vs RCA coax cables.

I have been making some incredible cable "downgrades" recently that have improved my overall sound by a large margin:

AZ Mc2 digital cable ($300) --> Ebay glass toslink ($29)

AZ Silver Reference IC ($900) --> Bogdan Silver Spirit Ref. ($269)

VD Reference AC ($750) --> K-works Empowered AC ($200)

Marigo Orpheus Crossbow CD Mat ($75) --> Herbies Grungebuster CD Mat ($20)

BTW if you use "normal" direction on glass toslink you may hear same difference I did ....... some might prefer the more forward sound this offers.

Jul 25, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #18 of 29
I bought a 10-pack of the grungebusters, just to have them near various sources.

I haven't tried Bogdan or the K-Works, but am getting interested. It would be a good challenge for the Nites...and selling the Nites would cover the costs nicely if they're as good...

Jul 25, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I bought a 10-pack of the grungebusters, just to have them near various sources.

I haven't tried Bogdan or the K-Works, but am getting interested. It would be a good challenge for the Nites...and selling the Nites would cover the costs nicely if they're as good...

I have "only" 3 Herbie's Grungebusters
biggrin.gif

Not to raid your wallet, but this is last day you can get Bogdan BSSR at $269 price...........I'm fairly sure it will surpass the Nite IC for you (although I have only owned a VD Signature IC)

Bogdan BSSR

Jul 25, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I have "only" 3 Herbie's Grungebusters
biggrin.gif

Not to raid your wallet, but this is last day you can get Bogdan BSSR at $269 price...........I'm fairly sure it will surpass the Nite IC for you (although I have only owned a VD Signature IC)

Well, I'm in. I'm hoping my wallet won't get raided. If they surpass the Nite, the "downgrade" will actually help my wallet quite a bit.

Jul 26, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 29
Well only like 20+ more minutes for today and that Bogdan BSSR deal. Since it's a silver cable, I'm just afraid my K1000s will become more bright so I'm just reluctant to buy.

Jul 26, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #23 of 29
Would one of these glass toslink cables be overkill for connecting my Sony XE570 CDP to my Sony JE770 MDR?

I'm using the standard (in box) cable at the moment... but don't want to lay out the cash if the improvement would be unheard at this level

Thanks

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #24 of 29
I just ordered one and will have it Wednesday! I can't wait to hear it. I'm using a cheap Toslink from Acoustic Research right now between a Sonica and Cal Sigma II tube DAC. Granted the Sonica/USB Toslink interface may not be as ideal as a Toslink interface in a higher end CDP but I'm betting it's as good as any Toslink interface in a DVD player or budegt CDP. I'll post some impressions in this thread when I get. Thanks for mentioning this cable!!

Jul 26, 2003 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
EWWWW!!

Don't do it. This is one of the worst~!
eek.gif

The Kimber ? (I've had it quite a while). I ordered the eBay one to replace it. It's logical glass would be better than plastic, though Kimber touts their "medical grade" plastic doesn't microfracture like glass cables...

Jul 26, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
The Kimber ? (I've had it quite a while). I ordered the eBay one to replace it. It's logical glass would be better than plastic, though Kimber touts their "medical grade" plastic doesn't microfracture like glass cables...

How does *microfracture* translate into the sonic results?

if it works in your system, that's cool. It was such an eye opener between the Kimber and other toslinks I had on hand in my systems. whether "medical grade" plastic or not, this was the one of the few cables i've tried in the past that deemed to be unusable.

For plastic one, Audio Technica was quite a bit better for around the same pricing.
• AT6D55

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
How does *microfracture* translate into the sonic results?

Not a clue, though I'd imagine microfractures could possibly generate reflections that would increase jitter... but I'm making this up as I go along
tongue.gif

Quote:

if it works in your system, that's cool. It was such an eye opener between the Kimber and other toslinks I had on hand in my systems. whether "medical grade" plastic or not, this was the one of the few cables i've tried in the past that deemed to be unusable.

I works (as in it functions) but performance-wise I've never had anything to compare it to, but I will have the eBay cable next week.

Jul 27, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #29 of 29
You guys may want to check out Bolder Digital Cables as well. Mine works VERY well, although I cant compare it to anything.

Bolder says the cable is a great value for money.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back