Digital out from ipod?
Apr 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HeadFile

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Have someone made a spdif output from an ipod? I'm thinking about doing a diymod and installing a flash reader in an old ipod i have. Mostly for fun, but it will be fun to compare it with new standard ones.

I have a ttvj slim headphone amp with built in dac, so it would be even more fun to use a digital out from the ipod.

Has anyone got any idea? I'm not afraid to drill and mess up the ipod. I'll be using a g3 unless I get my hands on a newer one.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 16
e666b06897ea.gif

Search is your friend.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Ok, thanks. Sorry for the spam. I'm not shure I'll be carrying the wadia around in my pocket yet. Any idea how big the alo one will be? I'm shure the pricetag will be in the big department..

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a ttvj slim headphone amp with built in dac, so it would be even more fun to use a digital out from the ipod.

Even when you are able to get the digital out from your iPod, it'd be still impossible to use it with the TTVJ slim because the TTVJ doesn't have digital input.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any roughly equivalent players spec-wise to either the ipod classic or touch that have spdif or i2s lines internally that could be tapped?

Am I right to think that this is not a portable solution? In which case, would not media players with built-in harddisk, almost always come with the SPDIF out? And some media players do have built-in LCD displays, so you needn't have to use a TV or monitor to select songs etc.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something compact to be more transportable than portable. I primarily listen in three or four locations and would like a system I can carry to each with little hassle in setup.

A netbook with a USB DAC/Amp combo like the Carrie?

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 16
cowon X5L, iriver H1XX series, some other chunkier players. the QA550 and 350 (though these are not feature packed, are ugly as sin and only play wav)

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 16
Good old Iriver h1xx is all you need. It can be upgraded to 120 gb (or possibly even bigger) hdd, 2300 mah battery, and rockboxed (and if you really want, you can even get a coax spdif out of iriver) - and become an ultimate portable transport. Plus, it comes with a wired remote, so you can carry your "transport" and dac\amp in the bag and do all shuffling from a remote. ipod just can't compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back