Digital out from 5.5G iPod?
Jul 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 10
i guess you can go buy a computer with digital out and use the ipod like a hard drive and stream music, but then whats the point of getting an ipod? just get a external hardrive for 1/4 the price

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Labrat has a pretty good point. When I first saw the Wadia thing, I thought it was really neat, until I discovered it did not have a DAC inside it. Then I wondered what the point was.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Yes, I wonder. Every portable DAP has some sort of USB port on it, how hard would it be to convert to digital-out?

Hmmm, guess the iMod answers my question...it'd be creating a digital-out rather than a line-out otherwise.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 10
If the Wadia wasn't so expensive it would be a great DIY reverse-engineering project for head-fi. If someone could figure out what commands are being used to coax out the digital signal, we'd be set
smily_headphones1.gif

Synaesthetic: The point is that it doesn't have a DAC. For example, I don't have a computer in my living room and I don't want to hook up my laptop to a DAC everytime I want to listen. The iPod is more convenient, and the transport allows you to keep that convenience while using a better DAC than the one in the iPod. It doesn't make any sense if you have a media server or a squeezebox though... and a squeezebox would be much cheaper.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Synaesthetic: The point is that it doesn't have a DAC. For example, I don't have a computer in my living room and I don't want to hook up my laptop to a DAC everytime I want to listen. The iPod is more convenient, and the transport allows you to keep that convenience while using a better DAC than the one in the iPod. It doesn't make any sense if you have a media server or a squeezebox though... and a squeezebox would be much cheaper.

I understand, but your last sentence pretty much sums up why I feel a little ambivalent about the iTransport. A Squeezebox is a much more economical and powerful option.

I think, for the price Wadia is selling it, it should contain its own DAC but have the option to bypass it, so that you could use a better DAC if you so desired. Then I could see it as being worthwhile, a kind of audiophile's version of the iPod dock stereos seen everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back