Digital Music Future? Optimistic?
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SJaeger10

New Head-Fier
I had a random thought the not too long ago about the availability of high quality music files that we can download off the internet. Yes there are many places that offer lossless files but the selection can often times be limited. I wondered why places like iTunes and Amazon do not offer lossless options and I believe it is because most people don't care and because of the size of the files. However, as memory continues to get cheaper and data transfer speeds increase I hope that lossless files will just become standard, or at least an option. What do you all think about this? 

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Hmm, I'm not so hopeful in new music, but
If some new release is not available in a lossless format, you could always buy the CD and rip it yourself.
Hi-res is a different story though.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 5
As bandwidth increases and storage becomes cheaper, it would indeed be less expensive for the consumer as time goes on. The biggest hurdle is that the companies that provide this content (Amazon, Apple, etc.) have to pay for all of that bandwidth and storage on thier own end, and businesses do not like to spend money if they don't have to. Unless the consumer unanimously demands higher quality (not likely), we probably never will see lossless become THE standard.

This is why the tech geeks calling for the age of 4k TVs will be let down in my opinion. I have seen a full 4k setup and it does look good, but it's not VHS to BluRay good. The general public will most likely decide that 1080P for TV is "good enough", and it will stay there for a long time. The same goes for music, what we have in lossy form today is generally more than "good enough" for the majority.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 5
We need better recordings more than we need better formats. I'm sick of big artists producing mush.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Obviously the recording industry needs to get a grip on the loudness wars. A good recording with dynamic range at 16/44 still sounds nice on a good system.

With the above put aside, most here at Head-Fi are going to get digital music that they like by choosing their recordings and getting the right equipment synergy together.

Still there are so many choices and styles of listening to music. Making digital sound natural and listenable is an art in itself, regardless if it is HD or not.

The best part of digital is ease of use. You can download and not have to drive to a record store. You don't have to worry about breaking a phonograph needle, you don't have to try and thread a reel to reel tape after drinking a six-pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back