Digital, Coaxial and Interference
Nov 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 21
Onboard sound will always be worse than a discrete sound card.

The proximity of the sound components of a motherboard to the CPU, etc. causes a great deal of noise. A seperate sound card or a USB device such as the Turtle Beach Advantage Micro will give you little, if any, noise. I have NEVER had noise from a seperate sound card.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoKoKrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hijack the thread, but will changing to a dedicated sound card improve the digital output from the computer?

Its certainly possible.
Depending on the implementation of the current digital output, and the quality of the new dedicated sound card.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #19 of 21
Can I ask how does the sound card alter the signal??? I mean, because I have a Zhaolu D3, and I need the sound card for the optical output, does it matter what quality my sound card is of??? What does the sound card actually do the the digital signal?

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoKoKrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask how does the sound card alter the signal???

The audio signal run through components/traces on the sound card. And since you mention optical it also convert the electrical audio signal into an optical one.

The components involved in this process may impact the end result.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #21 of 21
Something which hasn't been discussed is if the "coax" cable used is indeed a good coax cable with proper shielding. Also, coax cable used for digital transfer must be 75 Ohms from end to end as spelled out by the S/PDIF specs; this includes the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back