Digital camera advice needed
Dec 9, 2003 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

timoteus

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a digital camera to replace my current film camera. I need to buy before the end of the year and don't have the time to do as much research as I'd like. Plus, I would be starting from scratch and I think the learning curve would end up being a full time job for me.

In a thread a while back a Minolta DiMage G400 was recommended as a great choice in it's price range. I have found an online vendor that carries this camera for $320 US.

Is this still a solid choice or are their others that I should be considering? Is the price I found competitive or is there a better deal out there? I'd like to keep the price between $200 and the $320 I found on the Minolta.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 13
All depends on what kind of film camera you were coming from... It's a hard transition... And it's some serious bucks going SLR to DSLR though they are getting cheaper (Canon Digital Rebel and the upcoming Nikon D70)

For the rangefinder man with deep pockets...

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm currently using a $250 compact. Nothing special at all. I'm looking for a compact digital that can also take closeups of a high enough quality to post on the web if need be.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
I'm currently using a $250 compact. Nothing special at all. I'm looking for a compact digital that can also take closeups of a high enough quality to post on the web if need be.

Anything over 2mp would be sufficient for posting web shots. If you're talking about real macro performance, you'll have to check spces. I don't really do serious macro, (and in the digital domain used nothing but Canon) but I'd look into the Canon A80 or S45 at the great prices it's going for now. If you need off camera flash I'd say a G3 (still available new) or used. Again check the specs for macro performance if you're really looking to get close. (And have need for macro flash capabilities)

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 13
I agee with HighwayStar, the A80 is a very nice camera. I'd also look at the A70, just because it's considerably cheaper and it doesn't sound like you are looking for very high resolution.

Fwiw, I just bought a Nikon 4300 a couple days ago and I really like it. Like just about all nikons, it's very good at macro. You can of course get macro lens and ring light attachments, but it's pretty good just as it is. It's only $337 at newegg right now too. Here is a junk picture to give you an idea of it's capabilities.

junk

"symbolic" is 1cm long, to give you a sense of scale. This was taken about 1 inch from the lens.

As for the new leica...I'm a little skeptical about leica digital cameras. Aren't those the same as panasonics?

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jim
I agee with HighwayStar, the A80 is a very nice camera. I'd also look at the A70, just because it's considerably cheaper and it doesn't sound like you are looking for very high resolution.

The A70 would do very nicely as well and can be had pretty cheaply. I just love the swiveling LCD (ala G series) on the A80.

Quote:

Originally posted by jim
As for the new leica...I'm a little skeptical about leica digital cameras. Aren't those the same as panasonics?

No, not as far as I know. They had some collaborations in the past on compacts, but this is pure Leica... and the price tag is sure to reflect that
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 13
That new Leica digital? Yes, it's all about the red badge. If it had a real M-lens mount and took compact flash it might be worth the money but not as it is. I've got nothing against Panasonic being involved but a fixed lens for near $2000 is crazy.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
That new Leica digital? Yes, it's all about the red badge. If it had a real M-lens mount and took compact flash it might be worth the money but not as it is. I've got nothing against Panasonic being involved but a fixed lens for near $2000 is crazy.

What he said
tongue.gif

Looks pretty, but a fixed lens and no compact flash - what were they thinking??
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jim
hehe, what's this then?
wink.gif

LOL, oh man, you're right. That's the camera. I stand corrected.

Timoteus, I know you mentioned not having a lot of time, but you should check out www.dpreview.com, at least for their "side by side" comparision feature. You can size up the models you're considering.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks HighwayStar. I've seen this site posted before but was going to stay out of there. Instead, I took a look around and now can see that it is going to be very helpful. Not only can I do comparisons, but I can compare prices between vendors to get the best deal. I guess there is no substitute for a good edumacation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
I guess there is no substitute for a good edumacation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially if you're going to be peeling off a substantial number of greenbacks...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back